Author Topic: Found a 17 fireball? What for ammo?  (Read 10120 times)

uncle buck

Re: Found a 17 fireball? What for ammo?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 04:10:16 PM »
The H335 powder also shot outstanding for both the 20 grain V-Max and the 25 grain HP...  Now this was for the Fireball not the 17 Rem.. 

Buckwheat now you said the 25 grain V-Max...Hornady does have the 25 HP.. Actually the factory Rem ammo is 25 GR HP ammo. That's all I use in the 17 REM..  Like i said in the post above..Midway sales a 20 grain 17 Cal HP..Non-Vmax... It's a special 17 Fireball bullet..  However Fireball or 17 Rem they both might shoot well?  I did see you could buy the 25 grain Hornady in V-Max..Always felt that was to explosive...V-Max designated bullets....

uncle buck

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »
UB - I experienced unacceptable fur damage with the 25 grain Hornady JHP.  I abandoned this bullet for this reason.  I even tore fox up using my 17 pistol shooting same at even slower velocities.  Sorry I forgot to mention that with my last post.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it...

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 05:25:08 PM »
Ernie I am shooting mine fast at about 4,000 fps over the chrony.  I have anchored coyote from PA to Texas with the 20 Grain Vmax but, I don't shoot as far to avoid losing them.  It is alittle light for our eastern yotes.  Still works but, I do this because its what i carry when fox is in season. Once fox goes out I bump up to a Tactical 20 which has done very well on coyotes for me. 
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 07:43:46 PM »
TFC2223
Thanks for the information on the speed on the 20 gr. bullet. I will start messing around some.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline TFC2223

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.redeyesops.com
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 11:03:20 PM »
no problem...  If you need anything else concerning the 17 just ley me know. Good luck.
Kirk McKendree

RED EYES OPS

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 07:53:06 AM »
this conversation has been very interesting... I'm still thinking about a 17 FB for the Contender action I have sitting in the safe, but it'll not be used for nite hunting... I shoot everything in the head with my 22K-Hornet, and have no problems tearing them up if I do it right... so long as they're hit from the eyeball in and not right on the top knot, there's very little external damage... this is with a 40gr V-Max and 11½gr of lil-gun... not sure what the velocity is on them but they're a bit slower then factory Hornets... even with Winchester 45gr sp's or 46gr HP's there's not a lot of damage...

I'll be using the Contender as a lite stalker down here for daylight hunting so shooting to the body won't be a problem shooting full power stuff...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 08:19:01 AM »
Dale,

Good to see your still alive.  How are things going in NC?    Good to see you on the board again. 

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 01:54:14 PM »
Dale,

Good to see your still alive.  How are things going in NC?    Good to see you on the board again. 

lost a hard drive to a virus a while back and just getting around to finding all the sites I was on... doing well, sitting in this cold spell right now, to cold for the MC's but still getting along...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...