Author Topic: Legalizing Semis For Hunting In Pennsylvania  (Read 12342 times)

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Legalizing Semis For Hunting In Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 08:53:48 AM »
This petition is not accurate. Allowing Semis for big game will increase accidents. Due to the shear number of hunters in the woods. Semis are accurate? This is false. Only custom made semis are accurate. I know because I was a weapons spec in the military and did extensive reasearch on semi auto loader rifles. Semi auto loaders could be fine for predator hunting. I am 100% against allowing the use of semi rifles accross the board.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 08:58:07 AM by foxpro51 »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 09:36:25 AM »
I have a question.  what is the difference if someone is shooting at a deer compared to shooting at a fox or coyote?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
Lot more people in the woods during deer season vs predator hunting. Shooting at deer presents a larger kill area vs a fox or coyote. Semi are not normally accurate compared to bolt actions rifles. Semi's are used in the military for firepower and shooting at larger targets.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:37:36 AM by foxpro51 »

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2010, 01:39:07 PM »
Semis are infact accurate. They don't have to be some crazy $4000 plus custom job to be accurate. You could buy a bushmaster varminter for under 1000 and put a Leupold VXIII on for a total under 1600. The thought of there being more accidents is just your opinion. The other states that allow semis across the board haven't experienced a rise in accidents. Is PA the exception? I doubt it. I only really want to see them legalized for predators myself. But it would be easier to pass a new law legalizing them across the board. It's A LOT easier to make them legal than to make them legal on certain days for certain species, using a max. cal, using a min. cal, etc, etc...

PA is one of the last few (4 I believe) states that don't allow their use. Hawaii, Ohio, PA, NJ. I believe Northern Cali is legal to hunt with one. I really don't see how they can be more dangerous. They are just another firearm. That's it. They aren't nuclear devices!

In other states that allow semis, ARs are a favorite for predator hunters.

Just show me proof that they are going to cause accidents. Again, how can all the other states be wrong? They didn't experience the huge increase in accidents that anti-semi people say will happen.

A win for gun owners/hunters no matter the size, is a nail in the anti-hunters/gunners coffins.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2010, 02:57:48 PM »
a gun is a gun.  everyone can be dangerous.  each one kills and that is a fact.  making an acurate ar-15 is not anymore expensive then an accurate bolt gun.  you might not peg a fly at 500 yds but I am sure it will kill a g-hog at 300 which is more practical for most shots.  JMO
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2010, 03:06:56 PM »
There was an article I was reading last night in Guns & Ammo Book of the AR-15 2006 about the Les Baer .223 Super Varminter and how the author shot a prarie dog at about 650 yards. It took him a few shots to hit it. But still, that's a hell of a shot! Les Baer guarantees at LEAST 1/2 MOA out of box or your money back. You can get one for under $2,000 brand new.

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:27 PM »
And if this gets changed, I will be buying a Les Baer in .204 Ruger. But it would have to be in effect and not just a trial period where they can stop it.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2010, 03:49:25 PM »
well if it would pass I doubt I would run out and buy a ar either.  though I wouldn't mind haveing a 10/22 in 22mag config just because I think the 10/22 platform is cool. 

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
Take any factory AR out of the box and i'll take any factory bolt action rifle out of the box and we will shoot groups at 100 yards. The bolt action (non-custom) will beat the semi every time for accuracy at 100 yards. Custom semi's are a different thing. I can understand semi 22 rimfire rifles for small game but not centerfire semi rifles for big game. Just to many hunters in the woods during deer season and your asking for problems. I could also see a need for semi's for predator hunting. No were near the people around when hunting.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 04:05:00 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 04:16:46 PM »
I voted no just because I feel if the possibilitiy of more than one shot is needed then you should not have taken it, wrong caliber for animal or not an ideal shot. Not all but some will count on the follow up shots as a do or die situation. They are fine in the midwest or desert areas with low people population but if you unknowingly shoot a distant house or barn with the first shot then lay 4 more out there as quick as you can before you know what you did. People will have a greater chance of being struck.
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »
predator 77 I agree, My wife has a Bernelli 300 WSM semi. rifle.  We use it out west where there are few houses or people.

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 04:44:09 PM »
I couldn't just get one the first year though. It would have to be legal for 2 or 3 years before I bought one.
I have a 22 Mag that just about shoots MOA. Marlin 982VS bull barrel with bushnell 3-9X40. 30 gr. V-max shoot great.
I need something with a little more reach. My 700Police in .308 is a little overkill for the yotes and fox.

Offline DaveyC

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 04:48:03 PM »
Irresponsible people will cause damage no matter what gun they use.
And I really think that you should have to take a 5 shot group test before you can buy a license.
Again, I'm really pushing for this for predator hunting/small game.
I am content with my 700 Mountain LSS 7mm-08 for deer hunting. It shoots well for how light it is. Cookin up some lighter faster loads soon for it.
I want an AR in .204 for the yotes.

Offline blueeagle

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 06:38:41 PM »
predator 77 I agree, My wife has a Bernelli 300 WSM semi. rifle.  We use it out west where there are few houses or people.
Aren't you kind of talking out of both sides of your mouth? Does your wife have the spray and pray mind set? I would just once like to see FACTS that there are more accidents because of legal semis.