Author Topic: Fox & coyote gun  (Read 15710 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Fox & coyote gun
« on: December 28, 2009, 08:17:31 PM »
Looking to purchase a multi purpose fur friendly fox and coyote gun.My two choices so far is either a 17 fireball or a 22 hornet.I would like to hear the good and bad or if there would be a better choice.

Offline edhunts5

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Fox & coyote gun
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »
I'm in the same boat. Interested to see the replies from seasoned vets on this one.

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:45:09 PM »
Go with the 17 Fireball.....the 22 Hornet is just a bit light for coyotes but it will kill them..However you want to be able to kill them from point blank out to 250 yards..  the fireball will do this...

Did you ever think of buying an T/C Encore.  You can get a 22 Hornet barrel for it for $257.00.  Buy it before 1 Jan and you can get it for $207.00.  You can get the 17 Fireball barrel too but that will cost you a bit more...Maybe about $320.00 from Arthur Brown...You will have to wait 12 weeks for them to make it to your specs...

I have the Hornet and I have a 17 Rem CF...I would pick the 17 CF for the all purpose all predator kind gun...Chucks, fox, bobcat, coon, and coyotes...

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 05:28:45 PM »
Which one has the least amount of report, 22hornet or the 17.Is the 204 caliber worth considering?

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 06:55:57 PM »
22 hornet has the least report of the two. of the guys that i know who own the 204, they have put aside for coyote only....no very fur friendly for fox. i'm very happy with my hornet and with the hand loads i've developed for it.
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

jay

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
Foxtrot... I guess the 64,000 dollar question to you is,
Do you reload ? Or better yet...
Do you care about pelt damage on a fox ? If your answer is "NO" use your deer rifle or whatever you currently own  ;D
There is not one single cal. that will do it all without pelt damage. Yes I personally have shot factory 50gr v-max's out of a 22-250 and aimed low to the eye's on a fox and hit them in the mouth with descent luck. Body Shots... Forget It... Big Holes... But again ask yourself if you kill 5-10 foxes a year do you really care ?

IMO when I see a guy ask a question like yours he can probably only afford 1 rifle for both predators which there is nothing wrong with that... But there is some trade off's with 1 rifle there will be pelt damage. So this is how I would look at it...
22-250/223/204 = Dead Coyote + Dead Fox (Pelt Damage on Fox)
22 Hornet/22 Mag/17 HMR = Dead or Wounded Coyote + Dead Fox (Minimal Pelt Damage on Fox)
I don't know about you but run offs SUPER SUCK !!! So what do you think the ethical choice would be...

I would buy a rifle geared towards coyotes and use it for foxes too and live with the pelt damage until down the road you might decide you need a rifle more dedicated for fox hunting and then you will have the best of both world's.

If you reload you can go with reduced loads and soft point bullets that work excellent on fox's... (Example= 22-250 or 223+ Blue Dot Powder + 45gr SP Hornet Bullets = Minimal Pelt Damage)
Coyotes are kinda like deer, they are pretty tough critters where fox's are built like a house cat... thin skinned and somewhat fragile...
Most store bought ammo for varmint cal. are centered around high frag bullets that will upset violently... (Pelt Damage)
Again, Reloading opens a whole new world of making one caliber more multi purpose like you want.

FYI...I have a 22-250 that I shoot Blue Dot loads though and they just shoot 5 or 6 inches low (I forget offhand) to my full house loads, so its easy to dial up 5-6 moa on the elevation and kill foxes and if I what to hunt coyotes just dial back down 5-6 moa and we are back to hunting coyotes. Never used it a lot because I use a Hornet for night hunting foxes and the Hornet is easier to carry too. Still very effective, quiet and very deadly load.

17 caliber stuff that I have seen is still hard on fox, except the 17 HMR which I've seen many bullets splash on the face/head when night hunting and that makes for run offs or the game of can you catch the wounded fox when they run after you walk up to them (Very Very Fun To Play) ;)...

Just think your choices through and buy the best gun you can afford and not the cheapest gun you can find in that caliber... Buy good stuff and get good results, you will be much more happy in the end and not selling guns,scope bases,scopes and being very frustrated.

Good Luck

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 11:51:04 PM »
I like when Jay post How Too's...That when I listen...I am going to have to give that Blue Dot shotgun powder a try.....

jay

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »
Blue Dot loads are kinda fun... Its like having 2 guns in one... 22-250 has a big bang but slip one of these reduced loads in and it goes pop like a hornet... Uncle Buck, I just looked and I used 14gr of Blue Dot with excellent accuracy.

"Caution" Please research these reduced loads for your cal. You need to be very very careful and not double charge or you will get hurt.
This powder is extremely fast and builds a lot of pressure for a small amount of powder used.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 01:26:33 PM by jay »

verminator

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 05:37:09 PM »
Where did you guys get the Blue Dot loads ? I might try this in my 22-250 or 204

worm4man

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »
I loaded some for my chemistry teacher. Try reduced recoil loading. In yahoo.
I have it written down for some calibers. But It Is at home. At a friends getting ready to rumble on some fur toonight.

Justin

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 12:29:44 AM »
Been thinking bout gettin me a 22 hornet...what brand is everyone shooting in 22 hornet...a little research and I can see savage makes a single shot bolt action hornet in their model 40...my 223 is a model 25, same action, same barrel, its an awesome gun...now, I was also looking at the NEF 22 hornet in the handi rifle...thinking...short...compact...doesn't cost much...only heard good things about their accuracy...anyone have any thoughts?
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

jay

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 12:46:10 AM »
Browning for me... Had an H&R but did not like it, you really get what you pay for I guess.

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 08:16:39 AM »
Hey Critterslayer all ya gotta do is ask and ya can take the Handi Rifle Hornet out and shoot it to see what ya think. Ive killed more foxes coons and hogs with that then my 17 CF.  Ya just dont get quite the range.  I know ive killed hogs at 250 plus with the Hornet but thats a chip shot for the 17 on a calm day.  And in my opinion as far as guns and loads its the same with predators as with anything.....Its where ya hit em not what ya hit em with.  Im not a very good seamstress and sewing foxes gets old after awhile but we owe it to the animal to make full use out of everything we harvest.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »
I've been using the 17hmr for fox and have been very pleased with it for that purpose BUT on the occasion I call in a coyote I am definately under gunned.So I need something that will stop both but still leave me with something to work with in regards to the fox after the shot.Rarely do I shoot at anything beyond a 100 yards and I do not have a loader.I know this is a tough question and maybe there is no good answer but I appreciate the comments from the guys that use the small centerfires on a regular basis.

jay

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 12:07:22 PM »
I guess I should have asked one more question...Is this for night hunting (Head Shots)
If "YES" get a Hornet for both... Everything is dead in the head with a Hornet !!!!

Happy New Year!!!!