Author Topic: Rifleshotgun combos revisited  (Read 7656 times)

uncle buck

Re: Rifleshotgun combos revisited
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2011, 11:30:37 PM »
It might work?  ...I think the answer is getting good mounts and lock tight.

Also   the 223/12 could be used for deer now with all of the 22 centerfire deer bullets you could use.. Shotgun barrel of course you could use a Foster Slug...  As you know the 24 also came in 30/30 over a 12 gauge... I always considered this a West Virginia gun..Since you could hunt turkey and deer in WV both at the same time.. However even now you could reload varmint bullets in 30/30 too.

Probably the 24 that would be best for fox but not to good for coyotes would be the 22 Hornet over the 12.  The older 222 I think were all 20 gauge in the older Savage 24's????

Now we discussed this before... Everyone I ever talked to that had one of the Tikka 222/12 they liked them.. Knew a guy that actually like his Tikka so much that he purchased two of them. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 10:53:25 AM »
That was my biggest problem with mine.  The mounts were cheap originally and I couldn't find a set in stores that I liked.  So i went with the high rise scope mounts.  as far as if they will work the way you are saying swarter.  The gun I have has the POI with the rifle and shotgun pretty close the other day when I shot it.  but I want to do some more patterning to see if the open sights are better suited for the shotgun barrel.  I shot at the target at 25yds and out of 27 pellets of #4 buck I was hitting 50% on a 8x11 sheet.  that was fine for me but my pattern does look lower centered with this setup.  soon I am going to pattern it with 4x4 pieces of cardboard.  but to tell ya the truth I set the scope at the highest power which is 5X and it would be hard to follow something with the shotty if it was running without takeing a sec or two to dial down to the 1.5x the scope has.  so I am thinking that I will like the open sites better for the shotgun anyhow.  Does anyone know where I can get glow in the dark paint?  the way the gun is setup the light lights the front site up but not the rear v. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 11:26:22 AM »
here are some pics.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 08:31:35 PM »

Now we discussed this before... Everyone I ever talked to that had one of the Tikka 222/12 they liked them.. Knew a guy that actually like his Tikka so much that he purchased two of them.  

My wifes uncle picked up a Tikka 222/12 a few years ago real cheap around $400 I think.  I started looking for one and couldn't find any under $800.

BB,
Look in your local tackle shop for glow in the dark paint.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:32:44 PM by swarter2 »
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

uncle buck

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 08:53:12 PM »
Now here is another logical thing to do????????Change the choke out in the barrel to either cylinder or improved cylinder... See bigger pattern and use # 4 buckshot or Deadcoyote T shot... The shotgun is for shooting close right.. So lets give them something that will hit them from head to toe??????? You still could use the rifle to shoot them out to 40 to 50 yards...

I got cylinder choke tubes from Colonial choke company...Carlston also sales cylinder also?  if not mistaken... the Savage takes Winchoke tubes?????So if you have a winchester around you can use that in your 24.. Best to check on the rushky or Spartan so you get the correct cylinder tube.. If need be use the improved cylinder and your going to spread the shot wider compared to using full or extrafull choking.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 07:19:57 AM »
The russian made guns came with standard choke tubes.  no need to buy em from someone else.

uncle buck

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »
The Russian made guns came with standard choke tubes.  no need to buy em from someone else.
Good if it's at least the Imp Cylinder... Never saw many gun companies providing a cylinder tube...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 04:16:36 PM »
honestly I use a full choke out of the shotgun barrel.  I want as many pellets into the animal as possible.  I got sights for a reason.  The pattern isn't as tight as it can be but it will work from 10yds to prob 35-40yds.  after that like you said the rifle will be used.

uncle buck

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 01:05:34 AM »
Here you go...Notice the mounts they use for this over & under shotgun rifle combo:

http://www.marocchiarms.com/downloads/catalogue/0_finnclassic.pdf

Picture of Mount is on Page 3 of 9...I wonder how much a field grade model of this gun would cost?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 01:11:19 AM by uncle buck »

Offline wildcat

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 06:55:05 PM »
gander mountain in harrisburg had a valmet 512 for around $800 but i think its gone now.  it was chambered in .243 over .243 but the barrels are interchangeable with the tikka 512 and the Fin classic 512.  All the barrel combos i found ranged from $400 to $600... wish i would have bought it.
Ive spent a lot of money on fast bikes, pretty women and alcohol.... The rest i just wasted!

uncle buck

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »
My main point here...If you have any of the shotgun rifle combos...Take it to a good gunsmith and tell them you want the strongest most stable mounts he has or can order.. Like in the Model 512 notice how everything seems to be one piece mount.