Author Topic: Rifleshotgun combos revisited  (Read 7657 times)

uncle buck

Rifleshotgun combos revisited
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »
When they came out with the 22Hornet and the 223 over a 12 gauge.  Many predator hunters started to hunt with them... The Rushkies had one too and they were not to bad...Actually good.   Then Rem bought them out and dubbed the mthe Spartan....then we got reports of not so good guns...They just did not hit in the same spot all the time??/

Do you people still use the Savage Model 24 V and are they still good?
the Rushkies gun....anyone using one yet? what was the gun name BKI or something like that?
 I know I do not even want to discuss the Spartan combo.

I still hear people in gun shops give good reviews about the TIKKA Combos.  They be 222/12's.

Me I have a Savage 24V  223/12. I have killed predators with it but it's not set up for night time hunting....I do take it out of town when I go...Since I only have to take one gun.....Had a gunsmith put heavy rings and bases on it.  Come Spring I wilol have to shoot some of those Silver bullet 223 50 grain reloads out of it and once I get her sighted in..Start to see where that shotgun pattern is hitting with different type shot and shotgun shells..
Savage shotguns take Winchester chokes by the way!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 09:11:30 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Rifleshotgun combos revisited
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 10:14:12 PM »
A few years back I had a savage 22 mag over 20 gauge with a wood checkered stock. It was a very nice gun that I now regret selling.I was using it for small game and felt the 22 mag was to much for squirrels and the 20 gauge wasn't enough for grouse.My needs changed when I started predator hunting.Currently using a model 24 17 hmr over 20 gauge.I like having my bases covered as far as using the shot gun for brush or close shots and the 17 for longer shots or areas that you need to keep the noise to a minium.Its the closest thing to a perfect fox gun that I ever had.The only miner complaint  is that when the 17 is hitting dead on the shot gun is hitting slightly to the right.This is a known problem for combo guns,not really an issue as far as hitting anything but not perfect.Other than that it would  be my gun of choice for fox.

Offline 220_Woody

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
i have the hornet over 12ga. best purchase that i ever made. great predator gun and fall turkey gun as well.

my 12ga patterns low right....i aim dead nutz out to 20yrds....than aim in the lower right quarter of the crosshairs past there.

with the Meuller 3x9x40 illuminated reticle scope on top its the cats meow for night hunting.

great gun!!
A critic is a legless man who teaches running.
- Channing Pollock

Offline payotechaser

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 07:10:14 AM »
I had savage 24  223 over 12 gage no mater what i did after shooting shotgun it would knock zero out for rifle.Im going to look for a russian or tika .

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 10:31:10 AM »
I have a russian made combo and it seems that the reason that it was moving the rifle poi after shooting the shotty was the scope mounts on it.  I am in the process of putting a weaver style rail on it and remounting a new scope on it and seeing if that fixes it.  if that doesn't I will have to try something else.  rifle is accurate.  but shoot the shotty and it moves the POI of the rifle. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 05:20:54 PM »
Would rather the shotgun pattern hit low then high...

I had a gunsmith put on the base and mounts.  He must have known something about these gun way back when since I have never have seen such a soldi base and rings on any gun...

I am going to have to give this gun more range time soon..

Would be a good gun for hunting during twilight conditons...or a gun for going from Point AS to Point B with many different hunting stands in between... In other words walking deep into a the sticks and end up making many multiple calling sets  open and tight cover.  Like many of the Pa Game Lands of NEPA...

Offline archerobx

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 06:26:35 PM »
savage 222/20.
would like a 12g.

have bushnell riffle scope. shotgun is patterned to shoot under cross hairs.

Offline HuntinFool

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »
i had a hornet/12 and the russian 222/12 sold both and not have the 24 in a 22 mag/20 combo.  They are decent guns, i keep going back to them as i like to cover all bases.  My 20 ga i have to aim about 12-15" high from where the rifle cross hairs are.

Bigben i also had trouble with a point of impact problem, my issue was actually the scope not the rings and bases.  Just a though to put out there.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:24:28 PM »
what rings and bases were you using in your russian gun?  I am pretty sure the scope is fine.  I am plannin on buying a leupold for it then.  I doubt it would be the scope then. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline DEER TAG

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 12:53:29 PM »
I got spr 94 12/ 223 gun shoots great .. no problems  . got ex turkey tub patterns well out to 50 yards

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 01:02:55 PM »
what rings and scope are you using?

Offline DEER TAG

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 08:13:16 PM »
I got nikkon 2 -7 shotgun scope . i just use the dovetail rings millett steel . I tought i would have to get it tapped and drilled but the rings been staying put .

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 09:09:02 AM »
heres an update.  I ended up sticking high rise mounts on that you use for a 30/30 style lever gun.  It actually has 336 marlin weaver high rises on it now.  The rifle poi stays put now and the scope was fine.  I still think I am gonna put a mueller 2-7 power sport dot on it for next year.  the 1.5-5 power on it now is just a bit to low a power for what I like. 

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 06:10:04 PM »
I need to go BALLISTIC....and play around with my Savage Model 24 223/12.  It's so nice when you hunt out of town or for coyotes...I have missed so many predators because I had the rifle and should have had the shotgun...This experience alone makes sense that the combo would be the most excellent predator gun..I also like single shots for safety when hunting with other people.. The 24 is the next best thing to a single shot...

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 09:14:34 PM »
would see thru rings work for this combo set up.  So you can see the beads for the shotgun and have the scope set for the rifle?
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff