Author Topic: what shotgun do you use.  (Read 9008 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: what shotgun do you use.
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 12:39:46 PM »
i know UB has had some issues with the Holo sight and missing some shots because the fox come in to fast,  i use a orange mangnet fiberoptic sight with the headlamp turned on my head so when i put the gun up the animal stays in the light. 

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 12:41:37 PM »
if the light is too bright you can use a black magic marker on the end and it will dull it down, just use a light coat. 

Offline yotehunter74

• Junior Forum Member
    • http://www.sfcustompredatorcalls.com
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 05:11:35 PM »
I am using a Winchester SX3 semi...

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 06:29:09 PM »
I use my T/C Encore w/12ga barrel with a red dot on top.  It's a single shot but deadly accurate.  It can take 3"mags.

I do have a Mossberg 835 on hold at the gun shop I deal with.  That gun will be used for everything from deer to turkey.  But mostly water fowl.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

uncle buck

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 09:45:23 PM »
A break open shotgun is a safe one to use when your hunting with other people....Side by side is an excellent shotgun to use for gray fox...Or if the caller sends you down wind of his calling about 100 yards the side by side or even the single shot is an outstanding shotgun to use.
I suggest a battery or a manual bobber 3 inch light stick on the side by side to have something to point below the fox eyes.. Notice I said below...Your right many of us when we aim the BB right at the eyes we shoot over the fox... Optical illusion out there at night time.
The semi or pump  would be excellent during twilight conditons over snow...A red takes off then you can take three quick shots if need be.  I have taken reds on the third shot under these conditons already...Missed with shots 1 and 2 and flipped them on the third shot.
Most times on dark nights thats all your going to get anyway is one shot....

Stoegers nice side by side...You shoot  one barrel and open the action to place a new shell in the safety goes on...I like that... Plus you can change the tubes out to accomadate different conditons...Suggest you contact Carlston and get an cylinder choke for the Stoeger side by side... Nice to use this shotgun for rabbits and grouse in real thick stuff with the cylinder tube for your right barrel... 

Love the Holosight if I see a fox coming into my calling from afar...Hate it when they run right at you out of no where. Some times we try to go to high tech and we end up shooting ourselves in the foot.

I suppose if I practice practice practice practice at night time using the Holosight and perform some snap shooting my kills would improve on reds that are on top of you within seconds....

Problems with many of us is that we do jump around to so many different shot guns and that can hurt you......

Offline mountainfox

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • '09-10 Bobcat
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
I use a Mossberg 535 w/ non-mag 50mm recticle red dot, and have a primos 100yd scope light mounted under the gun on the barrel.  as far as shells, i use the winchester copper plated #4 buck for both fox and coyote.
~mountainfox

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »
Winchester 1300 Black Shadow 12 gage with a Mueller red dot scope.
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
Remington 11-87 Super Mag.  It is the DU edition so already camoed and use the fiber optic sights on it.  Was thinking about one of those red dots as this is also my turkey gun.  Guess i gotta get out and try a few first

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 12:16:23 PM »
Remington 870 w/Truglow red/green dot ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

uncle buck

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 12:35:31 AM »
Going   back to basics this year...Not even going to use the Holosight....Had to many fox last year that came to my calls but came in so fast that I did not even get a chance to shoot...Lighting up the raybar front sight with a Truglo archery light......Making it simple....

Years back Dennis Kirk use to sale a illuminated front bead sight that you attach near the shotgun bead....Worked outstanding but you can't get them anymore...He use to say...."Red On Red Your Dead!"  The Red bead on the red eyes of the fox...It's just that simple.....

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 06:11:59 PM »
Well I got my 835 last Friday and set it up with the gun lite.  The batteries are charging and I'm ready to go.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 11:38:55 PM »
Just picked up a Stoeger side by side. Can't wait to use it in November. Bought it at cabela's for $ 150, plus my Cabela points.
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers

uncle buck

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 12:48:23 AM »
Ah nothing like a side by side Dreamcatcher.....I have a Stoeger 410 Coach Gun...Real nice rabbit gun!!!!!!Choke are fixed unlike yours.. IC and M...Would be great to use with a Beagle or in thick  cover.  Carlston sale all kind of choke tubes for the Stoegers...Like a cylinder choke tube...Wow you can screw in a cylinder tube and keep one at full choke ... or use the Open Choke cylinder and modifed for real thick cover... You can also get tubes for steel shot too for your Stoeger....
The Stoeger should work out real nice in thick cover for gray fox too....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 12:49:11 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 01:36:38 AM »
Old dependable...Remington 870 Express...tru-glo sights seem to light up well with the head lamp on them...you look slightly gangster with your headlamp cocked sideways  8)...but you're in the woods no one cares...trying out the remington 3" #4 bucks, patterened nice last spring bringin on cardboard about 36 of 44 pellets in a 1 foot square piece...with most centered using a remx-tra full choke at 35 yards
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 01:41:30 AM »
if not using #4 buck...#4 shot in Federal Turkey always has shot well out of my gun...not so much other brands for whatever reason...but as everyone knows...every gun has its own "personality"
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"