Author Topic: what shotgun do you use.  (Read 9009 times)

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
what shotgun do you use.
« on: October 06, 2009, 07:01:04 AM »
i have always used my Browing BPS pump for nighttime hunting. Not sure i like the pump gun for night hunting.  this year i am going to use a stoeger side by side to simplify things.  i like the fact of loading and unloading with a break open shotgun,  easier and quiet, i also like having 2 different shells to choose from with 2 different chokes.   

what shotgun do you use and why? 

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: what shotgun do you use.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:25:28 AM »
a mossberg bolt action,

because it shoots good,i've taken many turkey,etc,with it.
and i like bolt actions
it is only a 3 inch mag but has the choke tubes,and is drilled and taped for scope mounts

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/695-turkey.jpg

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:54:08 AM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:36:26 AM »
Mossberg 500 pump action. I use it because it's an all purpose gun. It's tough enough that I don't have to worry about hunting in bad weather and the price tag is nice to. Plus it comes with a camo finish so I don't have the rust that blued guns do. Interchangable chokes and reasonably priced barrels. What's not to love?
FayetteNam

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:46:36 AM »
my main shotgun is a mossberg 500 with red dot.  I also use a berretta semi whenever I feel like it.  depends.  I would like to get a short barreled double.  I think stoger makes one called the condor.  looks like it could be a pretty nice gun. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:52:28 AM »
 If i used a shotgun it would be my Benelli shotgun with full choke tubes .

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 10:06:32 AM »
my main shotgun is a mossberg 500 with red dot.  I also use a berretta semi whenever I feel like it.  depends.  I would like to get a short barreled double.  I think stoger makes one called the condor.  looks like it could be a pretty nice gun. 

i bought a stoeger uplander side by side with double trigger, was looking at the condor but ended up buying the side by side, always wanted one for some reason. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:07:53 AM »
the only thing I am worried with on the condor is I did not see anyway to attach a red dot or scope.  maybe there is a way?  hmmm.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:26 AM »
i think it would be tough. 

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »
i think it would be tough. 

all the fox ive shot in the woods,which come in alot easier,or more of them are usualy moving so quick i dont see how you can get the red dot on them,i hunted with 2 different guys that had them,and they both couldnt get on some foxes my 15 year old nephew could have killed.

When your calling in a woods with a headlamp on,and a flourecent bead,on the front.

if you turn your headlamp slightly,you can scan your area back and forth looking right down the barrel,which there is no transition time where with the red dot,there is alot of wasted time,plus if the animal turns without the red dot you can still make the shot as you can see the animal well.

not so with a red dot..

the benelli's are sweet,i will have one,my daughter graduates from college this coming summer,and it will be affordable,but the gun i have now suites me fine.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »
I never had an issue getting on a fox with a red dot.  I am talking about a red dot that has no magnification.  only thing different is you can see it better then a bead that is not lighted.  all I know is it works for me.  I know the issue I had with using a regular shotgun bead was not getting my head down on the stock right and would often times shoot over.  I think it is ub that allways says about aiming lower then normal while using a shotgun.  this is because many times people do not get their head down on the gun right and shoot over.  practice helps too.  heck I even used my predator shogun while hunting in the d4 crow hunt this spring and it worked just fine.  keep both eyes open helps alot also.  can you post a pic of the illuminated bead you use TO?

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 12:07:15 PM »
it came factory on my gun it is green,but my headlamp on low lights up the whole barrel..its like one big picture when it comes in,but you are right you gotta shoot lowit looks different at nigt,ive had some come through awful fast,but i hunt pole timber woods,and thickets.and you dont see them till there right on you.

but when i see the eye my bead is already on them and my cheek is against the rest

now that i thing about it,i dont think these fellows were keeping both eyes open,but its relaxing with a shotgun and no scope as you know unless you smacked it off something hard its shooting the same place.
thats just my preference though.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:11:12 PM by TROPHIESONLY »

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
Guys they sell a little lighted  bead that stick on barrel of a shotgun. It cost about $2.00 and stays light for a long time. I got mine at Harbor Freight. This also works good for fishing at night.

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »
I use a Mossberg 535 with a thumbhole stock and a red dot scope (non magnifying)
Also attached a tactical shotgun light w/ red lens on the underside for night hunting.
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline Trophiesonly

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 12:35:30 PM »
i seen them mine lights up nice though.
sometimes its to bright.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 12:36:37 PM »
you got a name earl? or a link.  sounds interesting.