Author Topic: Pennsylvania and Thermal/Night Vision: How Soon?  (Read 4703 times)

Offline Flesh Eater

• PPHA Members
Pennsylvania and Thermal/Night Vision: How Soon?
« on: October 05, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »
How soon, if ever, do you think the PGC will legalize thermal and NV? Thinking I should start setting some money aside for when the day comes.  8)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Pennsylvania and Thermal/Night Vision: How Soon?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
Who knows..at least they made a move on semi-autos.. personally I would have preferred NV over an AR ..but maybe there's a glimmer of hope...I have heard mixed opinions on whether one would use the equipment or not..same with using ARs..
PPHA President

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »
I'm going to say a decade! The Game Commission is always the last one to the party. Lol... :)   I'm on the fence about whether or not I would use it. The red light acts like a shield for you to hide behind.  You can't see who's there with a light shining in your eyes. Neither can Wiley coyote.  I'm certain that you could pick out a coyote better with  NV and way better with thermal.... But now you've leveled the playing field some for the coyote to see you. You can't conceal your movements as well. No more light to shield you from view. Just my 2 cents. 
District 5 coordinator

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:03:55 AM »
I am going to say in the next year or two.  It has been demonstrated a couple times this year to the board and it seems like they are making progress and opening their minds a little.

I personally am intrigued by it.  Not sure I am in favor of it yet though.  Why does it have to be so damn expensive?  I never hunted with either but I have looked through many make and models over the years.  From $10,000 down to $500.  Quality does make a difference and we all know that equates to higher price points.

When a couple of us competed in the World Calling Championship in Georgia we got to look at some outrageous top of the line equipment.  The average predator hunter can not afford it.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 01:50:15 PM »
I would like to see it get approved just for the recovery ability.  I spend a lot of time looking for downed game that I'm sure I could have quickly recovered with night vision or thermal imaging.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Flesh Eater

• PPHA Members
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 04:02:14 PM »
Foxhounds makes a good point, but the advantage is that you know right where that coyote is, so movement shouldn't be an issue.

Honestly, I wish they would at least legalize monoculars, simply for ID and recovery. Shooting with a light isn't bad. Identifying out to 100+ yards can be difficult in some situations.

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 01:40:09 PM »
I am going to revive and add a question of sorts to this post I can't find any rule that makes it illegal to hunt with night vision or thermal all I can find in the digest is any device that projects a laser beam, thermal detects heat doesn't it and night vision uses ambient light I think, so what makes that illegal to use?   

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:25:34 PM »
You are correct about how the rule reads in the digest. They are still considered illegal to use.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »
If you google Pa Title 34  141.6 (6) That gives a very rough explanation.  There is also another section in the regulations that says something to the effect only approved devices can be used.  I can’t find that one on short notice.  I’ll keep looking
Jake
York, PA

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 08:25:59 PM »
I looked up title 34 it basically says the same as the digest looks like a gray area to me neither one cast a beam as for the approved device who makes that decision.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
They do ..... of course   LOL
Jake
York, PA