Author Topic: Hi all! Couple questions!  (Read 4763 times)

Offline Trapre

• I trap and hunt all huntable critters i can!
Hi all! Couple questions!
« on: January 31, 2018, 10:43:41 AM »
I am new to the forum here! I've been reading post for quite awhile before I was accepted and it seems like an well of information. I have just started calling this Christmas as I got a firestorm as a gift. I

First question: How far do most of you see clearly with your red scan lights(to the point of seeing the body clearly)?

Second: How far would you shoot an animal with a .17?

And third: I can't hit worth a crap at night. Any tips as to how I can kill something? I switched to a .17 from a .223 recently but will still try the .223 for longer shots.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! If you have any information at all you can give me that would be awesome!

Micah

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hi all! Couple questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 11:01:14 AM »
Welcome aboard Micah! People use lights differently. Some guys use a scanning light and a shooting light. Others use one light for both. The guys that use one light typically have an adjustable light where they can control the brightness. Dim for scanning for eyes, then turn it up brighter for positive ID and shooting. What kind of light set up are you currently using? I scan with a headlight and have a brighter shooting light mounted to my gun. You're second question could use a little more info. What .17 are we talking about?  A .17 HMR, a wsm or a hornet etc, etc. If you have a safe place to practice shooting target at night it will help you get better.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Trapre

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 11:38:14 AM »
As a light setup I use two of the same lights. Both are red Cisno and shine clearly about 30-40 yards. One I use for a scan light and the other I have mounted on my gun.

As for the gun, I had a friend lend me it for the rest of the fox season. It is a .17 HMR. Someday I will invest in one but for now it is a temporary setup. I lean toward the .223 as my gun for the next 2 maybe three years.

Offline Trapre

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:44:48 AM »
I'm sorry i did not mention that the .17 has a bipod. I normally sit/kneel but would laying down help my shots?

Offline Furmageddon_1

• PPHA officers.
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 12:28:16 PM »
You should be fine with the bipod.  You may want to take the gun to the range and shoot it off the bipod from the position you hunt from.  Bipods can change the point of impact if mounted to a flimsy plastic stock with a barrel that's not very well free-floated.  Good luck!
PPHA District 2 Coordinator
NRA life member
Chester County 5B/5C/5D

Offline Trapre

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »
I definitely will do that here soon! I didn't realize that nighttime changes your aim as much as it really does!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 02:29:20 PM »
I use a wicked light  ic scan light.  I can adjust the brightness.  I usually don’t scan on full brightness, I flood the beam out.  I’m capable of scanning a good 250-300 yards in an open field.   I use a17 hornet with good optics- very important to have good optics.  Using a 20 gr Hornady ballistic tip, I’ve killedout 250 Plus yards on fox.  Having said that I also shot off of a field Tri Pod shooting rest.  I personally use the Tri X shooting rest made by  EW Calls.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 03:57:05 PM »
I had a friend lend me it... It is a .17 HMR.
Have you taken it to the range to see where it is hitting?

Offline Trapre

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
Lol, I guess not. But the guy it came from is BEYOND picky about that! I'm 90% sure he didn't give me a knocked around scope. I will try it out just be positive later this weekend.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:08:55 PM by Trapre »

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 08:11:18 PM »
My set up I use I have a savage .204 with a bipod. For optics I have a nightforce SHE 5-20 and for light I am using the coyote light pro and for call I have a foxpro fusion. If you are serious about predator hunting I highly recommend the coyote light. It not cheap but I can see eyes over 1,000 yards and identify an animal past 600 yards. The lights aren't the cheapest on the marked but well worth every penny. You can't shoot what you can't see.

Offline wfo204

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 08:12:56 PM »
Sorry nightforce SHV spell check made it she

Offline res56cue

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
Just what wfo204 said, If you can't see it, You can't shoot it.  With that being said there are a lot of lights on the market ranging from $50-$350.00 or more depending on your options.  Use what you can afford and if you get hooked like a lot of us have, you can always upgrade to bigger and better.  As far as shooting at night it changes a lot when trying to first of all, find what your trying to shoot in your scope and how far away comes into play.  There are so many variables, add weather and it can make it tough.  I have a property that allows me to shoot at night and what I get is some small red plastic reflectors 3-4 inches in size on stakes and I place them all around the field at varying distances within my comfortable shooting distance and I will try to shoot them out, kinda simulates what you are seeing with your light when your shining for critters, it will help you gauge what distance you can see out to with your current light.  Plus give you some practice at hitting your target at different distances.
Chris
Schuylkill County

"Now let me know when I come to something that interests you"
"I say, boy, pay attention when I'm talkin' to ya, boy"

Offline Trapre

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 02:31:22 PM »
That last idea will be tried! I'll have to pick up some reflectors but that is a great idea! Thank you res56cue.