Author Topic: Which weapon to take  (Read 7015 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Which weapon to take
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
Thanks Jake.  I am returning all my gifts I just bought for you. ;) ;) ;) ;)
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 01:04:39 PM »
 :) You People  :P :P :P :P Why do we have to beg to find out what AR? You know like make,model,cal. and any other info that would shed light on why you chose that one... ::) ::) ::) ....don't be shy we're going to make fun of you no matter what...because Goose and I are in charge of the comics section on this forum... :o :o :o.... 8)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »
Lol.  Ain't that the truth.

Specialized Dynamics Custom AR-15
223 Wylde
Forged upper and lower
18" Stainless barrel with 1 in 8 twist
Elftmann Skeleton Pro Trigger
Precision Arms MII SPR Brake
Custom Paint Job
Leupold VXR CDS scope

I wanted the 25 nosler caliber because I heard nothing but great things.  Same with the 6.5 Grendel however I panicked at the ability to buy factory ammo easily.  The hot caliber right now seems to be the 6.5 Creedmore however I understand that would have to be in the bigger AR10 platform plus a little large for fox.   ;D ;D  So I decided to go with a caliber that has plenty of options for someone who does not reload and I actually do not have a 223.  I do have a 223 WSSM.

I also was going to build my own but since I am not very knowledgeable in that department yet I figured I would build one and continue to educate myself until I feel comfortable to take on that task.  I am also still very indecisive on what I like versus the money for what I like.   
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline 32-20

• PPHA officers.
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 08:36:45 PM »
Jasper1, I mainly use Rock River AR parts with Geissele triggers, leupold optics 4X12 area with adjustable objective so I can control focal points 50 yards to infinity or woods to field with one outfit. I believe quality parts result in quality results. This year I will be running a 204 Shilen barrel on the AR platform when in Coyote territory and a suppressed 17WSM Bolt Gun when hunting near home in south east PA. Hopefully this lights a spark into the AR platform one rifle multiple use.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »
 :) 32-20 thanks for the info  ;D it's interesting to hear what everyone is using and why.... ;D shows there's more than one way to skin a cat  :o :o ......................... 8)

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2017, 03:50:50 PM »
 :o :o :o "it's interesting to hear what everyone is using and why" .....baseball bat cause I like'm close ::) ::) ::) ::)...."shows there's more than one way to skin a cat"...Lily ain't gonna like that  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 05:09:26 AM »
Would you guys care to show some pics of theses builds??

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2017, 07:28:57 AM »
As soon as I can.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
Why do we have to beg to find out what AR?
You know like make, model, cal. and any other info that would...

Jaspr, I've had AR for some time to hunt Montana years ago. So I didn't jump on the band wagon.
Smith & Wesson .223
Off the shelf, did not build it.

shed light on why you chose that one...
Why? I had stock in Smith & Wesson.
It fit me, I liked it.
so I purchased a Smith & Wesson.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:38:19 AM by Hern »

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
I don't mean to raise the fur on to many backs but an AR works up close and personal not to mention pretty good at  long range, also now legal in PA.

Not trying to be a jerk, but what does the gun being an AR have to do with it?

Won't a bolt action .17 "work up close and personal" as well as an AR in .17?

To me the question was more about yardage the Op could cover...having a shotgun when they hang up, or having a hard charger come in while he was holding a scoped rifle.

I'm glad the AR guys got their wish and can now hunt with them, but in reality, there was a lotta fur taken with bolts or pumps before ARs became legal and will be after.......

Offline 32-20

• PPHA officers.
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2017, 12:12:55 AM »
Yes true, but the original question was what to use 17WSM or 12 Ga. both have their limits. Just pointing out that one single firearm in this case an AR would cover both ends of the spectrum long range and short range. I noted AR as I don't know of any major small arms manufacture that produces a semi auto in a short action (223) as of today. 
Personally 98% of my hunting will be with a manually operated firearm the other 2% will be just because I can.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2017, 07:44:18 PM »
 :) :) :) :) If you are young with good eyes and a steady hand take the 17...iffin your shakey take the 12.. ::) ::) remember shot placement is the key with the 17.. :-X :-X :-X :-X
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member