Author Topic: Your favorite predator  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Your favorite predator
« on: September 18, 2017, 06:27:38 AM »
Just wandering if you guys have a favorite predator to call in or even trap. I was thinking about when I was laying in bed and the first one that came to mind was the coyote. But even though it's pretty much the only predator that can talk back to me on occasion and that you can hunt it 24/7 with no limit the pa bobcat is probably my favorite. To me it's the prettiest of all. You usually don't have that much competion with people that late in season. With just a short 3 week season i prepare to harvest this predator a few weeks before the season begins where as the other predators I just don't prepare my mind set. But probably one of the best things of a pa bobcat there is no stinky oder from them. Was curious what's yours and why.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Your favorite predator
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 07:28:39 AM »
I'm going to have to say the bobcat too. Watching them stalk you silently is a huge rush. Coyotes can be really vocal sometimes. Fox can be hard chargers at times and nearly run you over. But the bobcats stealthy approach is about the coolest thing I've ever seen. Sometimes I wonder how many I may have called in and never seen... Were all those blank sets really blank???  I scout the hardest for that season more than any other. In years where we have good snow, I've cut a set of cat tracks while scouting and followed them for quite a distance. It's amazing what you can learn from a set of tracks. The way the cat moves through it's environment. The features it uses to it's advantage.  It paints a picture that helps me with selecting stands for getting a better advantage over the stealthy ones... You really need to get out of your comfort zone and think like a cat not a canine....
District 5 coordinator

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Your favorite predator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »
I'd say the Coyote.  I've called numerous fox, and they just aren't te challenge they use to be.  I've tried, but never called in a Bobcat.  I've called in one maybe two coyotes, and they get the blood pumping every time they simply sound off!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!