Author Topic: Anyone getting ready...  (Read 7460 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Anyone getting ready...
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »
...for fur season?
The crops were planted late this spring in my area, due to rain and wet fields.
But we had ample rain for corn and beans. Possibly a bumper crop. A bumper crop will slow harvest with more trips to the truck or emptying trucks. In turn, crops may be in the fields longer.
I trap mainly crop fields for Canines. I may not set the first day/week because I don't want traps drove over or my locations may still have crops standing.
I visited some locations this week to make adjustments for late standing crops.
I weed wacked a few spots and transplanted some grass tuffs.

Still have a few dozen traps to boil, peat to sift and other last minute things to do.
Anyone else getting ready?

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Anyone getting ready...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( Way to busy with Honey-do's... ??? ??? ??? Can't seem to get caught up, and I still have a load of wood to haul home  :P :P :P :P :P Geez!!
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »
I don't do any trapping, and I hunt year round for coyotes, so I'm always ready!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 09:34:19 AM »
Jake, I know this a trapping thread, but...
Do you adjust your setups, calls throughout the year due to denning, crop harvest, human pressure, hot &  humid/cold & snow and so on. Do you take advantage of dispersal routes or weather fronts or dead piles?
I make adjustments during trapping season. But a good location is a good location year round.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 11:19:40 AM »
I sure do.   Sequences are different, locations are slightly different also.  I'm targeting the young dogs more so than the old, wise adults.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »
Jake, trapping I target the old dogs. Same with calling. Opposite of you. Weed'n the garden.

I try to keep adult population down. Younger pairs will mate and have larger litters.
The young get caught or called killed easily by targeting adults. I want the old Fox/Coyote out of there.
By that, I have observed where old, dominate pair of Fox or Coyote produce a small litter of 1 or 2 pups or completely barren with no pups. The area is dead. The old pair controls the area but is void of other Canines.
Several old pairs of Canines in a township or two can lower the population.
This took years of experience and observation for me to figure out.
Once the old pair is removed, younger, healthier pair moves in and population rebounds.
Am not in a high Fox population. So I help them along.
Targeting adult Canines with still produce the young and dumb. Line management is part of fur taking.

On a side note...
Last year I trapped a 16.2 lb. Red Fox, male.
I hadn't trapped this area for years. But it was always a producer. Reds were caught like spit out of a machine gun.
But not last year...
Nothing. 3 of 5  sets were chit on that week. Sets not worked or disturbed. Dealing with Mr. Know-it-all.
The day before I pulled, I tried a trick at one set.
Next morning, that 16 pounder, melon head of a Red looking all embarrassed with those big yellow eyes.

I was very happy with the catch. Not because of it's size or I tricked him. Because I knew this coming season, a young pair will take over and there will be Reds to catch.
Sort like pulling weeds in the garden.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 08:45:34 AM »
Hern says.."Sort like pulling weeds in the garden.".. ??? ??? ??? ??? Between you and jaspr1  :-\ :-\ :-\  I'm gonna start callin one of you, the Green Thumb and the other Mr. Greenjeans!! ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »
Hern,  I like the old ones too.  They're usually just smarter than me!!
Jake
York, PA

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »
The kids and I can't wait, we made some wax dirt and have our peat moss. We have a dozen new mb550's to get ready yet.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 03:58:56 PM »
Hey Doc! Do you still have your sights set on getting a bobcat this year?
District 5 coordinator

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 06:28:24 PM »
I bought a couple of duke dp's at the renovo show, Tim got me set up with everything I would be needing and gave me some awesome tips to start out with. The 5 year old is super excited to get out and catch his first coon, figured since he's not ready to hunt yet, setting a few traps might get the fire started for a lifetime of loving the sport.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 06:47:22 AM »
 ;D ;D    B66....."Tim got me set up with everything I would be needing and gave me some awesome tips"  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..........B66...............you don't start a fire with WET wood... ::) ::) when you could PM ...Hern and get some good advice  ;D ;D............we don't want the little man to get a handle like "CoonLess"  :P :P....... 8)

Offline Shurshot

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 07:10:06 AM »
I have been using buckwheat hulls to set my traps on for a number of years as a part time trapper.Now that I'm retired I would like to give it the dickens and have more then just a few sets.I have read here and around ,like Hern using peat moss to bed traps.Is this peat moss like one can get at Wally World or a lawn and garden center? Can anyone give me some input what advantage peat has over buckwheat hulls.Thanks !
The Best Is Yet To Come ! I'm telling you !

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 07:18:51 AM »
Yes foxhound, my daughter and I both have our bobcat tags. We did alot of scouting late last winter and early spring and also spring gobbler season.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 07:57:11 AM »
That's awesome Doc! Glad to see the enthusiasm your kids have for the outdoors. I have a 23 year old daughter that archery hunts with me. She's a better shot than her boyfriend....
District 5 coordinator