Author Topic: Anyone getting ready...  (Read 7458 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Anyone getting ready...
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »
Typical father.  Never wants to give his adopted son any credit.   :o :o :o  I'm just a nice guy trying to pass on some things I learned the hard way.  Darin, I wish you and your son the best of luck.  Remember, keep those thumbs out of the DP when setting. ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 09:35:11 AM »
Shurshot, I purchase Peat at Lowes or local hardware store, largest bundles.
Peat always seems moist and wet in those bundles. I like to dry Peat before I sift and use.
I purchase now or early spring (for next season's trapping). I cut panel out of large side, leaving about a 2" edge around sides and corners to keep Peat in place. I then store opened bundles in loft or out of the way place. While stored for a long period, Peat (bundle) will dry out with this opened panel I created.
Dry bundles will save me time. Now I don't need to spread out Peat in Sun to dry. Plus dry Peat sifts easier.

Buckwheat Hulls vs. Peat
Every trap covering has their advantages and drawbacks.
Peat may be inexpensive and ready available compared to Hulls.
Peat & Hulls work about the same in the field.
Clean, bagged Hulls is less pre-season work. Open bag and ready to use.
Peat is cheap covering but requires work to ready for season. Some folks sift Peat at set. I sift before the season. Personal choice here.
So one has to use different trap coverings to find what fits their needs.
There is no perfect covering for all weather conditions.

A story...
Back in the late '80's, Andy Stoe introduced clean, Buckwheat Hulls in a bag. I used them right away for winter trapping. I missed alot of Fox that season.
Next year at a Trappers Rendezvous,  I talked with Andy of my misses using his Hulls. He said,' Come around to the back of my trailer.' Andy got down on the ground and began to give me personal instructions on how to bed with Buckwheat Hulls!! He made a small trap bed, placed Hulls in bottom of bed, bedded trap, then placed Hulls inside and outside jaws. No Hulls on pan. Then finished set with sifted dirt.
My problem, Andy pointed out, was I was covering my pan with Hulls. Fox foot was skidding or moving or slipping on Hulls/Pan. Andy said Not cover Pan with Hulls. To top dress set with sifted dirt or grass clippings.
That tip solved misses in years to come.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 09:38:26 AM by Hern »

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2017, 05:45:53 PM »
My daughter is just getting into archery (crossbow) foxhound. That is the first thing on the to do list for this hunting season is to get her a buck  with the crossbow then the bobcat. She shot her first gobbler last spring so this season is her buck and bobcat. I to will be taking my son who is 8 out so he can catch coons.

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »
Good luck to you all, Doc! Be sure to post up some pics!
District 5 coordinator

Offline doc holliday

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 09:48:46 PM »
Maybe someone can post how to put pics on here because I can't ever figure it out. Thanks again to Lookn4Fur for posting my fisher picture  and my daughters red fox picture last season.

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2017, 08:09:31 AM »
 :) I have peat in a medium sized trash can, next to the shed......dried out nicely....and stays dry...for a small time trapper I would think this would be adequate. I can move it around easily if it gets in the way.    8)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »
This is how to do it from your computer.

1. Reply or open a new post in PPHA forum boards.
2. Open Photobucket on a second page.  (You must have a free account and be logged in)
3. Select  "upload photo" and select the photo you want to upload. (stored on your computer)
4. After the photo uploads it should display four type of URL's.  Click on the "IMG" URL and it will copy it.
    (See Pic)
5. Go back to the PPHA forum post and right click and paste the URL into the body of the post.
6. If you want to add any text, click above or below the URL and type what you want to say.
7. You can preview your post but be sure to Select "Post" and you are done.
8. You can resize the picture in Photobucket if need be but make sure you save it and select the URL for the
    saved picture.
9. So easy even an OLD Coot like myself can do it.   :o :o :o :o

"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »
I like photobucket for the fact that you could view your post with the pic before you send it.

Offline Shurshot

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
THANK YOU very much Hern.You have explained right what I needed to know.Trapping Bobcat the last few years I did have misses now I know why.I will try peat moss but I have some buckwheat left from last year so I'll try one or the other on different sets.Thanks again Hern.....
The Best Is Yet To Come ! I'm telling you !