Author Topic: Leupold VXR with firedot  (Read 5094 times)

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
Leupold VXR with firedot
« on: February 05, 2017, 12:28:42 PM »
Was looking to get a new scope for my predator rifle.  I checked out the leupold VXR with Firedot ,while it was visible in a well lit store(white light),my question is has anyone tried it with their red hunting lights?  I'm wondering how well it would show up against a red light.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Leupold VXR with firedot
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:48:01 PM »
I put one of them on my fireball last season. Works very well at night with a red light. U will find out that u do not have to have it very bright at all to see it at night

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »
Thanks for the input,that's what I wanted to hear. Does yours have the motion sensor. Was wondering  how well it worked.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 01:12:24 PM »
If you are talking about the sensor for the firedot going out if there is no movement i think they all have that feature.  Every time I looked in the scope the light has been on for me.

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 04:54:37 AM »
I understood it to be there was a motion sensor to turn it on when the gun was moved.  Maybe I misunderstood, I'll have to look at it again.  I believe there are 2 different ones, one with out a sensor and one with.

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:50:18 AM »
I checked and the higher priced one says "motion sensor technology activates illumination".

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »
I had the 4-12x50 vxr firedot on my 17 rem...loved it but the scope would not hold a zero..had to be returned to Ebay..seller was a loser and ultimately I had to have my money returned by Ebay since the guy refused to respond back to me. Ended up just buying a Vortex Hog Hunter with the V-Brite reticle (I own 2 others) Its not the Leupold for sure but for $350 less it does a fine job and kills animals just as dead...not like you get one less revolution on a death spin if you're scope costs more! I actually leave the dot off most times at night but never had a problem with either scope in terms of the dot showing up under a red light. I will say the crispness and intensity on the firedot was very nice. And I do believe all models have the motion sensor.
PPHA President

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 07:39:18 AM »
I have the Vortex Hog Hunter as well and would not hesitate to buy another.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »
I have the Vortex Hog Hunter as well and would not hesitate to buy another.

I agree with you on that. A few years back I bought a Hog Hunter for my .204 and liked it that much I bought another scope in the Crossfire II line , a 3-9x50 V-Brite for my 17 Hornet. I like the uncluttered, stand alone dot of that reticle.. Both those guns are "no frills" set ups that get knocked around at night and ride in a truck for most of the season. Never once had a problem with either scope under those conditions. When I picked up a beauty of a 17 Remington last year I thought I was doing the gun an injustice by outfitting it with a "lowly" Hog Hunter so I bought a Leupold 4-12 VXR FireDot..but as explained in my original post, the scope turned out to be a defect and ultimately I got a refund. With the money back in my hand, I decided to buy another HH and basically had enough left over to buy a CoyoteLight. I am more than satisfied with that scope/light combo.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:05:55 AM by QUATTRO »
PPHA President

Offline chiefz28

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »
Thanks for your input, now I have more options to make my decision harder.