Author Topic: Help/input  (Read 8156 times)

Offline Scuttle904

Help/input
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »
This is my second year coyote/predator hunting in PA with no luck so far. I have a few days left and was just curious what you guys used for locating? I've heard howling right after dark? after 10pm? 4am? then setting up first thing in the morning and calling. Saw somewhere that you should not howl because you could educate the dogs or if you howl too early the yokes could be in the next County by dawn. I'm just trying to stack the deck in my favor and wanted to get some input on how you seasoned veterans do things? I would to sit in on a hunt and observe if someone is willing

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
Re: Help/input
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »
If your hearing them try calling at that time depending on how far they are away they may come don"t call allot try answering with same howl that there doing but do not over call, every one I have called in so far I have used 3 sounds in 40-45 min set its all vocal sound to. What part of the state do you live in I"am in Lycoming County.

Offline Scuttle904

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
I'm up in wyoming county. Are they coming early in your set? Someone told me you ods go down significantly after 15-20 minutes of calling?

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »
Most all that I have called in have showed up 20-30 min. mark had one at 50 min mist that  one. For me I set on stand 40-50 min in the 11 or so years I been calling 50-60% show up after 20 min mark this is night calling I do daytime calling to I just try to stay in woods get closer to them. There are guys that are far better at it then me hopefully they will offer a tip also.

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 08:30:44 AM »
     Most of the coyotes I've called have come in around the 10-15 minute mark.  However I have had a few show up at the 25-30 minute mark.  Perhaps they were there in 10 minutes and never showed themselves till later.....  who knows.  Less is more in my opinion.  I try not to call much but wait more between calling sounds.   I relate calling coyotes very similar to calling turkeys.  Sometimes they come in quick,  sometimes they hang up.  A simple putt or purr then go silent brings them in .......  less being more.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 01:44:11 PM »
Here is a question.
When calling at night and a coyote sets down in an open field and hangs up at 300 + yards at night what do you do?
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »
Pray
Jake
York, PA

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
If I have a shot,  I'll take the shot.  I'm comfortable with my set up (gun, light, shooting rest, etc.) enough and ability  to take the shot.  That's my first answer.....  Take the shot !!

There are a few variables to consider also.....  how's the wind,  is he vocalizing back and if so what sounds - barks, Howels, yips,  none at all.......   have I called this coyote before?   

Most likely if I still have his attention,   I'll sit silent for a while to see what he does.  Time is on my side.   If he hangs up out there and is barking at me,  I'll back out and come back another day.  (If I didn't already take the shot) Some guys may try and close the distance and move toward him.  I personally don't like to do that.  I'm afraid I'll spook him.

A lot of this answer is dictated by what's being played out at the time.   One things for sure though, when I finish up, I'm going to give Ernie a call and run  it past him for advice!!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:08:45 PM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA

Offline so-soshot

• PPHA officers.
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 09:14:53 AM »
I was watching Fox Pro show and Abner had answer to that on fur tactics he keeps light on them and moves straight at them some I will try if need be.

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »
I was watching Fox Pro show and Abner had answer to that on fur tactics he keeps light on them and moves straight at them some I will try if need be.

I know that works for fox..never did it with a coyote.
PPHA President

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »
All good guesses on what to do. I asked the question to see what other people do that has worked.  I personally have never seen anything work but one time when I stayed on stand calling for 20 mimutes turning a johnystewart tape player volume up and down playing ct102 rabbit distress 16 years ago.
Misterjake23 I do pretty much the all things you do also with about the same amount of results you get. Praying is were I start out also.
Walking down fox and walking down coyotes with a light is two differnt things. I have walked fox down a lot with a light but now feel if I just worked the fox a littler harder calling they would have come in close enough for a shot anyways. The closes I seam to be able to walk a coyote down is 300 yards. The ******s do not even run most of time, they just walk off.  I am thinking, but just guessing is to take a chair and wait them out. Problem is after 15 min I get boarded just looking at them.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »
Coyotes are tough as compared to calling in fox.  Everyone I call and don't get a shot at I second guess what I did or should have done.   The one thing I did learn is this.......  if a shot presents itself, you have to take it.  No matter how slim it may be ......if there's a chance, you can't be trigger shy.  You may never get another opportunity!!!!
Jake
York, PA

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 04:30:51 PM »
Misterjake
That's a fact! Take the shot.
The problem is shooting this 17 hornet 150 yards yards is all it is good for. Unless you take a head shot. As you know I am not a shot fan on head shots.
So I have to figure out this coyote problem. Waaaaa!

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2017, 07:45:16 PM »

I remember several years ago when the PPHA had their booth at the outdoor show over by FoxPro..this was before I had even heard of this association so I stopped to see what it was about..A guy behind the table asked how I was making out for the season. We chatted a bit and I had told him about some fox hanging up on me...I can remember this guy looking right at me and telling me I just had to let the lead fly and see what happens..because if you don't, you'll certainly not get the fox..I always thought I could work harder or find that magic to get them to commit..sometimes you can, sometimes you can't..BUT, you can always have confidence in yourself and your gun and pull the trigger when it makes sense to..To this day I still have no clue who this guy is...but when I get a hanger, I remember his words..the messed up thing is, I still opt to try and work them..guess I'm stubborn..
PPHA President

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
Quattro
LOL might of been me that said shoot. But with this 17 hornet it would be in vain now. I aways used a 223 back then.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle