Author Topic: 17 Hornet shooters  (Read 10835 times)

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
17 Hornet shooters
« on: December 27, 2016, 10:05:16 PM »
Just ordered a CZ527 in 17 Hornet.  Should have it Friday.

So what have you guys found to work the best in your guns?  Powder, bullet, primer .......
Have any of you resized 22 Hornet cases?  Been reading you can have neck thickness issues.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: 17 Hornet shooters
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 07:42:52 AM »
I shoot the exact same gun John.  I don't reload so I can't help you there.  I can tell you that the 20 grain Hornady Vmax have the tightest grouping.  A little over 1/4 inch at 100 yards.  The 25 grain Hornady Hollow Points can get a little messy with an occasional flyer but they will still kill.  I love my CZ.  I am sure you will too once you get a reload you like. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
John
You will have no problem making clean kills and very little fur damage. I like the 25 gr hollow points. They are easy to load, never had any neck sizing issues. But you will have to work up you own load. My shoots good in my gun but tried them in another cz and they grouped not real well. I can tell you what I shoot if you like.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 02:39:18 PM »
That's what he is asking.  How comes you never volunteered to load me up some super secret rounds?  I can supply the brass and a couple bucks.   
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 03:56:02 PM »
Lookn4aFisher
I never said I would not load shells for you. You never asked.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2016, 06:24:00 AM »
Thanks guys

This will be my 3rd CZ.  If it shoots like my 204 and 22 hornet, I'll be happy
Was looking for what you guys found to be the most accurate.  Just an idea where to start.  I haven't bought a factory loaded round in probably 20 years. 

Not much worried about fur damage.  I've had my 22 hornet go from no damage to a golf ball hole with the same load depending on where you hit them.

If any of you guys that don't reload want to sell some brass, let me know.  I'd gladly buy it from you

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2016, 07:05:04 AM »
 :) L$FUR says:  That's what he is asking.  How comes you never volunteered to load me up some super secret rounds?  I can supply the brass and a couple bucks. 

:) BW says:  Lookn4aFisher
I never said I would not load shells for you. You never asked.

:) Jaspr1 says: Easy solution here!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D "LookN4CheepAmmo"  :( :( BW will meet you at the Diner in Conestoga where you can buy him that "Brekie" you owe him  ;D ;D you can exchange brass and $$$$$$ and all will be "GOODER" as Goose would say  ::) ::) ::) ::)..............you might even get the ammo back in boxes packed in Peat Moss  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o............................................ 8)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2016, 07:26:57 AM »
John I think you will find the same with the .17 hornet.  Most of the time you can't find a hole and sometimes you rip'em open.  The factory 20 grain Vmax have been the most accurate for me.  Maybe a reload slowed down would be the ticket.

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2016, 11:35:43 PM »

Thanks Tim
I have some 20 and 25 V-Max and some 20 Noslers on order

Buckwheat
What process do you use to form 17 from 22 hornet? I see a lot of people do it in two steps.  .20 then .17.  Do you anneal before you fire form?

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 08:13:03 AM »
TJ you are gonna stress BW out  :o :o :o two questions at once an he can't even spell anneal let alone what it means  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ gonna be a tough day at the Conestoga mink trappin site this morn  ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
I shot 3 this year with the Hornady 25 gr hollow points.   All 3 ran off.  I'm back to using the bullistic tips.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 11:31:41 AM »
Misterjake
We're on the fox do you think your bullet hit these fox that ran off?

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 11:39:55 AM »
TJ you are gonna stress BW out  :o :o :o two questions at once an he can't even spell anneal let alone what it means  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ gonna be a tough day at the Conestoga mink trappin site this morn  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Actually figured I may not be experienced enough to get an answer, kinda like owning one of his calls, but figured I'd give it a shot

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 11:55:20 AM »
Ernie,   I was going for front shoulder shots.  I was trying to see what kind of fur damage the hp would do.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 12:12:29 PM »
Misterjake
With out recovery of the fox you can not see were or what damage is done. I would keep shooting them in the shoulder until you get one and look at the damage. Then you can make a determining if they are getting the job done.
If you see penetration or damage after a kill is not acceptable make your mind up then. At 150 yards and in I am getting the results I am looking for. But mine are reloads at 3000 fps not sure what yours are shooting at. But I find it difficult to think yours are going that much faster to make a real big difference.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:13:26 PM by Buckwheat »

Tri-X-Stand Rifle