Author Topic: Hornady 25gr HP factory loads 17 hornet  (Read 3360 times)

Offline QUATTRO

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Hornady 25gr HP factory loads 17 hornet
« on: November 21, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
Know some folks who have picked some up...but have not heard results..if you have some please share.
PPHA President

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hornady 25gr HP factory loads 17 hornet
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 03:58:54 PM »
I have tried them.  They definitely shoot diffrent than the bullistic tip 20 gr.  They shoot well,  but not as tight as the bullistic tips.  I only killed one fox.  I intentionally took a body shot.  Normally I take head shots.  It did run about 30 yards.  I was unable to find any entrance or exit hole.  Needless to say,  no fur damage.  Tough to give an opinion with only one kill,  but that's all I have.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:35:16 PM »
Misterjake
Here is my opinion. Take it as just information I found.
I have no speed data on knolage on factory 25 gr. hollow points. I have never shot them, but I would think the factory would push them as fast as possible.
As you know I reload the 17 hornet. I am a 25 gr. hollow piont fan in my 17 rem and in 17 hornet and dislike balistic tips. Too much fur damage with balistic tips. I just shot 6 fox in the body and did no fur damage. I could not find any fur damage or were the bullet went in with out some real study on the fox for the hole!! I always shoot for the thickest part of fox. Being that a shoulder or straight in the chest shot is my best area and gives me some margin for error.  I shot one fox in the head because thats all i could see and it blew a one inch hole on the head. Shot was in the face and exit was out behind the ear. That's were the one inch hole was.
I reload my 17 hornet at around 3000 fps with 25 gr. hollow piont.
 I tested a rifle for a guy that was writing an article on the 17 cz with 20gr. balistic tip factory ammo. I shot 16 red fox in the body and I stop shooting fox with it. Did a lot of fur damage and only killed 8 out of the 16 were they stood.  I had to shoot the other 8 again to kill them. Some I had to run down and shoot again. The 20gr. balistic tips in factory loads go around 3600 and explode to violent on the entrance for a good kill. Some never went in far enough in shoulder shots and blew a big ball of fur off. If I hit to far back on a side shot it blew the fox apart.
I know everybody loves there ballistic tips but I will never shoot them again. Well maybe on a crow or pigeon. That's all they are good for in my opion.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 07:45:50 AM »
I have tried them also.  I had the same results as MisterJake on paper.  Also killed only one fox so far with the hollow point.  I had a little fur damage but then again the shot was high on the shoulder.  The fox went right down but it ripped a little.  Again, one fox is not a deciding factor for me. 

The Vmax are tack drivers but you will get more damage with them.  I have not had a single runner yet.
Then again, I may be a better shot than Buckwheat. ;D ;D ;D
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 09:43:11 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o OHH, that sounds like a challenge BW  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
Goosebumps
LMAO!!! One fox,  he is a work of art. They broke the mold when making him.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!