Author Topic: Combination guns  (Read 3049 times)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Combination guns
« on: March 11, 2016, 12:33:41 AM »
Does anyone use a combination gun for fox and coyotes?  The only thing I seem to be able to find is the Savage 410/22 mag.  I was hoping to find a 12 ga / 222 or 223.   Anyone have any recommendations?  What make and model?
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Combination guns
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 06:31:28 AM »
jaspr1 is the resident expert on these.. ;) ;) ;) ;)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 08:40:23 AM »
Jake since someone is still sleepin I'll give my 2¢...I've owned two Savage mdl 24s: 22mag over 20 3" and recently 223 over 12 3"....in my opinion they both needed wheels on them as they are heavy.  :P :P :P If you do not intend to walk a mile or so, they cover both short and long shots.  ;) ;) ;) ;) but if you need a quick second shot  ??? ??? ??? ??? it's a single barrel not a bolt with follow-up ammo.. :P :P :P :P I had no problem with keeping the rifle on zero when discharging the shotgun.. ;) ;) ;) some folks worry about this.. :-\ :-\ :-\ Do I own one today?? NO!!  8) 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:41:35 AM by Pa Goosehntr »
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 09:31:47 AM »
Had a .22 hornet over 12 ga. and a .223 over 12 ga.  I do not own them anymore.  Never had any issues with holding zero. I have to agree with Goose. Very heavy and no follow up shot.... I got tired of lugging one around. Switched to a bolt action .223. Just my 2 cents.
District 5 coordinator

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
Thanks
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 12:09:14 PM »
I also have the savage 24F in 22 hornet over 12 gauge.  I love the gun but don't use it to hunt predators for all the same reasons already posted.  It's a great fall turkey gun though.  I will never get rid of mine because they are very hard to find.  I don't think they make them anymore, could be wrong.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 07:50:22 PM »
 :)  I have a 24 with a .223/12ga. barrel combo in fact I have 2 and I also have a .222/20ga. combo. In the past I have owned others .22/410, .22/20, I saw one of those Hornets/12's at the East Waterford show for a little over $400. and I am still kicking myself that I didn't buy it...a little on the heavy side but if you shoot the shotgun for up close and the rifle for all others I've never had a problem...Haven't shot a coyote with any of them though,but it will lay fox low.  :) I love mine and I have to eat "Body Builder" breakfasts and I am still able to carry it around  ;D ;D As opposed to a puny individual on here, like "Lookn4Muscles".... :o :o................... 8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:21:25 PM by jaspr1 »

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
Lookn4Muscles is correct. Savage discontinued the model 24.  Don't feel bad "muscles", I'm puny too!    :-[
District 5 coordinator