Author Topic: Shotguns  (Read 2518 times)

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
Shotguns
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »
Anybody here hunt almost exclusively with a shotgun?  I would think that with the thick stuff that some of you have to put up with a shotgun would be the answer.  My calling partner almost always brings one along and I always question him as to why.  He just shrugs his shoulders and gives me a dumb look, like I thought you knew about this stuff.  I might need to get a new partner.
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Shotguns
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:03:31 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) CJ when only hunting fox at night I only take my Rem 870  ;D ;D ;D ;D It has worked for me..Daytime hunting 223 or 243...depends on power lines or open fields.. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Predator53

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
lol...I don't think you need a new  partner bud...it's funny my partner will bring both and wait to see what,im carry and I'll just say ok....close shots are you and long shots on me...ive been wanting to carry my shotgun with me cause it shoots so well up to 60 yards but for some reason I can't put that rifle down...so im going to try and break that habit in Sept.
Wicked scanpro Lights ICOTEC Gc500
 Montgromery county,Pa 5C&5D
 District 2 PPHA/NRA Member

Offline coyotejohn

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 12:41:31 AM »
I just can't bring myself to do it.  I keep on telling him shotguns are for skeet & trap, upland birds, migratory birds, small game and home protection.  Maybe this coming fall I'll give it a try - nah don't think so.  Many years ago, after I retired from active duty,  I worked predator control on the fort down here.  I was not allowed to use a rifle on the golf course but could use a shotgun but was reluctant to do so.  Finally the two star called me and said "hey we are seeing a lot of coyotes on the golf course, are you killing any?"  I told him no I was putting my efforts out on the training areas but would take care of the golf course in due time.  I had my partner come along he did the shotgunning  and I did the calling, problem solved.  General happy, if the General is happy all is well in the kingdom. 
“Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 06:18:27 AM »
 :) CJ says: "I might need to get a new partner."  :( I feel your pain  :( :(   Currently I have a Savage 24/.223/12ga.  with a Turkey choke on it and a Mueller 2x7 scope  ;D It's heavy and it's only a single shot  :( but I love it and have owned various caliber combo's over the years.  ;D I  use 2 3/4 inch hi-brass BB's for fox, it will lay them low no damage. Haven't shot a coyote with them but would not hesitate if the range was right.  :) Works for me........... 8)