Author Topic: THE WORLD IS JUST NOT FUR ANYMORE!"  (Read 4056 times)

uncle buck

THE WORLD IS JUST NOT FUR ANYMORE!"
« on: February 17, 2016, 11:52:57 PM »
I have lost a few bucks this year in the stock market...The world is not stable.. Some of our fur buyer China and of course Russia are acting up... Never before did I get $10.00 for a red fox... :(   I know we don't talk politics on here but the fact is that things in the world that effect oil, stock, cause the price of fur to go up and go down too... I often think back to the 70's? wow youth is wasted on the young... Here I was hunting ringneck and rabbits when I should have been getting some of the $70.00 per fox money.  Wow how that could have helped a young family that lived off of one pay check for about 6 years... "THE WORLD IS JUST NOT FUR ANYMORE!"  :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:54:31 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: THE WORLD IS JUST NOT FUR ANYMORE!"
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 04:18:45 AM »
For some reason though,  the drop in fur prices hasn't created a decline in the hunters and trappers.  There seem to be more people predator hunting now than there ever was..... And it seems to be growing!  I would have thought that when the fur market dropped so low, many people would have quit.   Boy was I wrong!!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 07:51:48 AM »
B66 says-
For some reason though,  the drop in fur prices hasn't created a decline in the hunters and trappers.  There seem to be more people predator hunting now than there ever was..... And it seems to be growing!

66, you are correct. The PGC reports show an increase in furtakers license the past several years.
I feel this rise in license sales is due to folks wanting a Bobcat, Fisher or Coyote. Coyote hunters purchase the furtakers license so they can shoot non-target Fox or Bobcat if one comes in. Also, With a Cable Restraint class and furtaker license creates another opportunity to take furbearers.

UB, I hope those days come back, but not holding my breath.
Wife and I depended on fur money back then. I averaged 3-5 hours of sleep per night in the fur boom.
Would start calling at 3am each day, until day break. Day break, check traps, remake sets, get in new sets until sun down or after. Come home, eat, skun/put up todays fur, restock truck, take a bath, sleep. Next morning repeat. Repeat, day in, day out. Every fifth day, I didn't get up early to call, I got a few more hours of sleep which seem just right to recharge me.
UB, at one point I sold fur total for more money than my father yearly income, working his full time job.
I recall buying a new F-150 with fur money CA$H. And had lots of cash left over.
My wife always had 'Christmas money' to shop for our children.
My current 'fur shed' was built using fur money.
Those days are gone but not forgotten.
Some day, I hope younger generations experiences high fur prices. 

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 02:14:26 PM »
Remember the $4.00 bounty on fox that didn't work?? and now they are talking about one for coyotes....guess some just won't believe the past.  :P :P :P :P :P Never did get rich trapping in school times, made enough to expand the line with more traps. At that time I was solely a water trapper, mink, muskrat, coon, and possum...never made a bunch of money but didn't hafta worry about gas then either..it was pedal power.... :( :( :( :( Once I started driving, it was muscle cars that replaced my traps and gas was 23ยข a gallon..still hunted but didn't trap near as much.  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 05:02:42 PM »
Goose, I think the Coyote bounty thing was tabled or didn't pass.  I would like to forget that joke even came up to the state level.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 05:15:11 PM by Hern »

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 07:56:13 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) Amen on that!!  8) 8) 8) 8)
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline foxhound

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 08:27:51 PM »
I'll second that!!!  8)
District 5 coordinator

Offline TrappinJohn

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
I remember one extreme to the other.

Early 80s
$65 reds and $40 coon

$4.50 nose count on fox.  $4 to $8 on coon and anything under a large they wouldn't buy