Author Topic: Put-up Fur  (Read 8291 times)

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Put-up Fur
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 05:55:58 AM »
Goose states-
There is a Taxidermist on one of the other sites looking for some whole coyotes...

I contacted him and he replied that he had a few locals (Tioga County) that responded on that site.
He stated locals would sell for Coyotes for $15. I  told him they were selling themselves short.
If anyone in my area wants a Coyote to mount or tan, I sell for $50.
It's an effort to harvest furbearers or Coyotes. $15 doesn't cover the cost of dropping dead Coyote off at that guys business.

There are ways to market fur each season. You have to do some work and may take years to build a niche' market or create other avenues. Skulls, glands, claws, peckers, meat are other saleable items.

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2015, 07:18:05 AM »
 ;) ;) Thanx Hern for the feedback...
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
Here r a few I just put up. I just started washing my fur acuttaly these r the first that I ever washed. I hope it was worth the extra step. To me they look better then the ones that I did not wash.

The one grey had a short tail. Didnot notice anything wrong when I skinned it out. If you guys see anything wrong with the way I put them up give it to me straight. Will aways take good advice.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2015, 05:53:18 AM »
1)Are they fleshed and dried skin side out, first? (before fur side out)

2)If they are fleshed and dried, Why so many pins in the tail at this point?
Are you skipping the flip and using Borax then boarding? (reason for tail pinned) If you are skipping the flip, I suggest using another wedge up the back for more air or using adjustable boards for better air flow.

3)Far right Grey, just looks wet or greasy at the skirt.

4)Far left Grey- eye holes & ears don't look centered. Board may be tilted a bit to give me this impression.

If pictured hide is fleshed and dried and put on boards fur out, I do this...
-I look for blood I may have missed. I will put Borax on blood spot and rub in and comb out.
-I may/may not put 1 pin on the end of the tail.
-I do comb out the fur, then comb upwards, rump to head, every hair (teased upwards) even neck & around ears/chin, belly & legs. By combing fur upwards, as the hide further dries, the fur will stay standing and fur combed this way presents a beautiful appearance.

All in all they look good, but need combed upward and prettied up in the skirt and neck area.
I like your uniformed look by using the same size boards.
Nice job.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2015, 07:15:23 AM »
1. Yes they r fleshed and dried skin out first

2. I don't know why I use all the pins after I flip. I just put majority of them back in after I flip them.

3. Yea the far right is a little greasy at the rump and also a little wet. She was not 100% dry after washing when I fleshed and put up. Then when I flipped to fur side out that is when I took pic. Perhaps I should of come back in few hours later when the fur was 100% dry before fleshing and putting up.

4. The left board is tilled alittle there Hern. Sometimes it takes alittle for me to get started straight on the board but I do keep them straight and centered  on the board as much as possible.

Thanks for the advice Hern about combing upwards.any advice is much appreciated.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2015, 02:24:55 PM »
Thanks for the answers, Bw
Nice job on Greys. Nice uniformed look.
You really threw me with the pins on the fur side, never saw that. After skin side is dry, and fur side boarded, you don't need the pins in skirt and tail, no pins on fur side will give a bit of air to complete drying tail and skirt. I do pin back legs, fur side out.

Since you washed 'em, now keep the fan on them for a day or two so you know the fur side is dried.
Your pelts do look good and clean. I would like to see a picture of the four all combed out.
I see guys bring fur to auction that have been laying on one another, dried blood on fur, uncombed, flat and different width Fox & Coyote and some shaped like a Christmas Tree.
A simple comb job will spruce up the look and using fur hangers to store or take to buyer or auction goes along way with making a good appearance. 

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »

Is this what you mean by all combed out??

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »
Nice.
Do you think it made a difference in appearance and worth your time? Neck, shoulders, skirt & tail?
Combing Reds out this way makes 'em look better. 

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 01:24:58 PM »
I do think they do look good combed out this way. I Think washing them made a big difference .i will see when they get sold if washing them worth the extra time. But from not ever washing fur or combing them the opposite way there is a huge difference in appearance for sure.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »
Am not sure if you will get more money this season with low prices, unless you tuck a 20 dollar bill in the ear.
Your Greys look good. Just remember, prices are low this season.

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 04:26:37 PM »

Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 04:41:58 PM »
We decided to try something new this season and here are our first round results.
Needless to say we are not pleased at all.
Led to believe these fellas knew what they were doing and a price that was par for the course, we went ahead since the price is low this year on fur and made a gamble, hopefully we didn't lose our a$$.
Hole after hole after hole, makes for a bad end product. Was told everything would be sewn closed, that was a lie!
Missing tails! All critters had they're tails when we dropped them off.

Excuses:
1 ripped on the flip
1 tail was mangy
2 tails are still MIA
Sew job just got the run around on.

I took a few hours the other night and took the brush to the fur getting any loose hair and what not out and for the most part they looked pretty good when done.
Lesson learned, and thankfully the price is down so what is damaged doesn't hurt even worst.
I believe the investment needs made for proper equipment or just keep selling on the round.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2015, 02:28:41 PM »
 :( :( Darin I'm thinkin from your report, I hope you didn't spend too much for their service  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2015, 10:08:54 AM »
Those that have fur hanging in a non humidity controlled shed  ??? ??? ??? ??? check your fur  :o :o :o :o make sure there is no mold growing  ??? ??? ??? especially the ones that have not fully dried  :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ just a FYI
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member