Author Topic: Online contests  (Read 11624 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Online contests
« on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:21 AM »
I suppose this is more of a compliant than a suggestion and nobody likes to hear complaining but its been eating at me so I'll get it off my chest.
  Over the years this organization and the fine members have held many memorable events.The ones that I remember most had physical check ins or a gathering where the members could introduce one another and share stories and ideas,these are almost non existent  nowadays.I know its easier to type and post and nobody needs to drive anywhere but the personal collaboration is nearly gone.I know that's how it is nowadays,I have teenage sons that I wish would put down the phones sometimes and experience life with out all the technologies that are supposed to improve our lives.Yea I'm old fashioned..I guess I'll have to get used to it.
 The other thing is when you have a contest don't you normally know what your playing for BEFORE the contest that way maybe more would participate??               Sorry if I tramped on any toes but I needed to vent.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Online contests
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:23:20 AM »
I hear ya and concur... way to much of the internet stuff... used to be when you had a check in, there was a day of it... food, socializing, camaraderie...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
Foxtrot,  as VP of the club, I couldn't agree with you more.  We had a hunt last year that required a physical check in......  The only people that showed up were the officers and had only one entry .......

As far as the prizes go,  we the hunt organizers, try to get the hunts posted as quickly as possible to give everyone adequate time to read them on the boards.  Some guys only check the boards once a week if that.  We solicits our sponsors for prizes and donations to give out.   We don't always know who is going to donate and what is going to be donated prior to the announcement of the hunt.  Sometimes it takes a while for our sponsors who donate to get back with us also.

I hope this helped to explain some of the questions.  Don't ever hesitate to ask!!

We are always looking for Officers,  please consider one of the positions.  We are always looking for new ideas and ways to better the club.  I think with your enthusiasm and love for the sport, you could be a great asset as an Officer !!!!

Thanks
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:27 PM »
Physical checkins....Yea man....but jaspr1 and I can't even get folks to come out for a gathering to eat  :P :P :P :P everybody likes breakfast....food is a given need.....getting folks to commit to driving to a specified location is a task, I assure you. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ jaspr1 and I were going to foot the bill and still no one came... :-X :-X :-X :-X On-line checkins I guess is where it's at and texting is better than face to face conversations....NAH!! but this is where we are today :'( :'( :'( :'( sad but true, if someone didn't read it on their phone or computer and was told different by an old guy then it ain't so....go figure!!
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
Well said Goose
Jake
York, PA

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
I showed up goose. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline nepahunter17

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 04:01:40 PM »
I would join events and so on but seems most of the action is a couple hours away
Due to price increase in ammo,,,,,,,,,,,,,there will be no warning shots

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:09:19 PM »
Physical check-ins can happen if the Distric Coordinator so chooses to do so. The reason many choose not to is due to lack of participation. Last year Bulldog had a hunt where you could enter your kill or show up at check in for double the points. Jason, his wife Cassie, Frank and The Goose were there as well as Jake and myself. Jake shot 2 reds and won. They were the only animals entered in the hunt I believe. 

Hunt prizes are usually always posted before the hunt begins and have been posted so far this year. The Christmas Bash Hunt has not started and I believe Keith is working on securing a prize for that hunt and I'm sure it will posted before the hunt starts. The Species Specific Hunt Prizes have not been posted yet, we have most of them but are trying to figure out the best way to go about splitting them up. We are not a rich club where we can give away shockwaves for every prize. Most hunt prizes are not over $75 dollars, IMO any prize given away could help and predator hunter in one way or another so it's a win win for everyone.

The PPHA is always looking for helping hands and we are currently in need of a D-1 Coordinator, what better way to make a difference, than to help the cause that you may feel has lost a step along the way. 
Hope this helps to answer your question.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline Pa Goosehntr

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 08:13:59 PM »
 ;) ;) ;) Got a breakfast coming up the 23rd of January with the alias GFish..today known as "Dale" Check the Off Topic board.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I Speak Fowl Language!!
SRWA Life Member
NRA Endowment Member
NAHC Life member
PPHA Member
PTA Member

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 08:50:35 PM »
Perhaps we can schedule a hunt, make it a physical check in and meet for breakfast all at the same time .....
Jake
York, PA

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 09:07:05 PM »
I never questioned anyone's support of the association. I was simply stating fact that rarely anyone shows. By all means the coordinators are free to have physical check-ins, that's they're call. I can't get anyone to show up for a meeting in Harrisburg let along try to demand they hold physical check ins. I did offer up the D-1 position and we see how many people jumped on that. Coincidence, I don't think so. 
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 11:12:08 PM »
I know checkins are hit or miss.The other issue is where to have them.If you belong to a sportsmans club they may allow use of their facilities.Gander Mtn. in district 4 is usually willing.Maybe even some members would have a building or someplace  they could offer  to get out of the cold  for an hour or so.Maybe refreshments,door prizes ext.to help persuade a tired all night fox hunter.I don't know what does everyone else think?I'm not running for office but would help in my district if needed.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33:26 AM »
Seems to me PPHA had the most predators killed in the recent on-line contest.
Why? Convenient, less miles and time travel to check in and more rest and time to hunt as explained above.
I think on-line check-in is fine for our small organization scattered over Pennsylvania.

As far as face to face stuff, I am all for that but in a different venue. Maybe a state meeting, food before, talking & demos after meeting a day long event.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 03:07:13 PM »
are ya'll still doing the yearly picnic?...always enjoyed that...

when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline dreamcatcher

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • bizubm43@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 04:57:06 PM »
Dale
   We are a contest club now, it seems.
    Biggest problem is we don't have a newsletter the last few years, so if you don't have internet you don't hang around the following year.
    You were at the last encampment and it was a great time. This year a lack of interest. Thanks for the photo.      Of the 11 members at Knoebels picnic  only 3 are still members.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:00:34 PM by dreamcatcher »
NRA Endowment Life
Pa Trappers