Author Topic: Spotlighting prohibition in pa?  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Huntin 4 yotes

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Spotlighting prohibition in pa?
« on: July 21, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else heard about this and what they thought? I brought it up at a gun club meeting and was surprised to get mixed opinions. Was curious to see what other hunters think around the state. More info at www.outdoornews.com/June-2013/pgc-ponders-spotlighting-prohibition

Offline Bowman66

• Global Moderator
  • PPHA Forum GURU
  • Work the bolt and give'em a jolt!
Re: Spotlighting prohibition in pa?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:13:08 PM »
It's enjoyable to take a ride through the country with the family or a buddy doing some spotting, but I think it would help curb the poaching a little bit.
Darin Hosier
Bee's O'Brien Game Call's
Pro Staff

Offline my7pointmonster

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
  • Doubled Up
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:03:43 AM »
I'm for it, would really cut the poaching and other problems. A lot of other states its illegal to spot.

Ryan.
District 4

Offline jaspr1

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 05:20:07 AM »
I would say it wouldn't help enough to warrant it and would only hurt those who are just enjoying a long time tradition.......Individuals out spot lighting with the family or just to see what's out there are the only ones who would abide by this...Poachers are the GANG members of the sporting community, they have no regard for following the law and would not adhere to this....Poaching is a tough act to break up...the poacher get's to pick the time and place,the WCO get's to have his best guess about this....The WCO then has to have enough manpower to elicit an arrest. Law enforcement is also handicapped by time, not possible to be out every night and for how long? You still have daylight work the next day...You don't need a spotlight! Gang members,er I mean poachers just sweep fields with vehicle headlights or drive in field. Poachers alter license plate numbers or put bogus plates on for their run...I agree it's a headache but this won't stop the hoofties...feel good moves never do. One final thought on this....It is already well established for years now that the cut off is 11pm..so here we are in old McDonalds field watching hayseed lane at 2:30am and woohoo here comes a truck spotlighting..I guess he didn't get the memo...JMO.. 8)

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
I'm not a big fan of spotting for deer, but I also don't feel that you are going to stop the people who are doing it illegally to poach.

This is still America, and although I'm not a big fan of spotting, I don't feel it should be outlawed.  It's not fair to punish all the good law abiding people who enjoy it , just because a few bad apples are doing it for illegal purposes.
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
It starts with outlawing deer spotlighting
Then what comes next
The PPHA fought really hard for gun mounted lights for night time hunting

Making spotlighting illegal will only make more outlaws
A poacher will do it with or without a light
I myself have enjoyed taking my family out for years spotlighting
Up at camp the kids have been able to see a snowy owl some large nocturnal deer, porcupine and some very nice bear as well, all at night while lawfully spotlighting
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »
It starts with outlawing deer spotlighting
Then what comes next
The PPHA fought really hard for gun mounted lights for night time hunting

Making spotlighting illegal will only make more outlaws
A poacher will do it with or without a light
I myself have enjoyed taking my family out for years spotlighting
Up at camp the kids have been able to see a snowy owl some large nocturnal deer, porcupine and some very nice bear as well, all at night while lawfully spotlighting

L2F I agree. This is a slippery slope, where does it end if it were to start. Unfortunately our society is a reactionary type and very prone to throwing the baby out with the bath water. The folks who will suffer the most if this were to be enacted are the law abiding citizen such as yourself who enjoys looking at wildlife in a peaceful setting when they are undisturbed.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 09:05:47 PM »
L2F & Zeke,  I have never spotlighted and am in bed too early on Sunday night to spotlight.  If anyone wants to light up they only push the deer back into the thick and that doesn't bother me either.  What do we need another new law for?  to take money out of the sportsman's pocket and support government that is too big, now.  Dick
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member