Author Topic: 17 Hornet's first time out.  (Read 12318 times)

uncle buck

Re: 17 Hornet's first time out.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 11:47:37 PM »
You can go the T/C Encore Route and buy an 17 Hornet already on the shelf at www.eabco.com.   $325.00 for the barrel... not bad price if you already have an Encore rifle action...It does take the heavy barrel forearm.  If you have a Prohunter action you can use the Prohunter forearm with this custom barrel... nice you don't have to wait for them to make you a custom barrel..
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:49:18 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 11:57:08 PM »
I have some Midwayusa .172 Cal  20 grain HP Dogtown bullets that I was going to reload in my 17 Fireball... I'm sure these would be excellent in the  17 Hornet...I'm sure by Christmas I to will have an Encore 17 Hornet too!... Hornady annual reloading mag stressed that the 15 grain .172 bullets should work nice in the  17 Hornet also...I think they high lighted the Berger made the  15 grainers for reloading... 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:00:06 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 11:57:29 AM »
Great to hear of the success of this neat fox varmint caliber. 

Somebody mentioned the Ernie Wilson Tri Stand.  I do not find them heavy in the least bit honestly.  I frequently hunt with one from sundown to sunup for predators with lots of walking and I have never minded the weight.  Use mine for groundhogs and deer too.  Probably the best hunting item I have invested in to date.  My gun weighs more than the tripod.   :o  I have found the key is to put it up on your shoulder so no muscles are involved.  It works so great I wouldn't hunt without one...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »
     I use mine all the time also.  I've been slaying the ground hogs this year with it.  Whats the point in investing all the money in calls, gear, guns, equipment, etc., if you can't close the deal at the end.  With Ernie's Tri X, it sure does improve my success !!!
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

uncle buck

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 12:32:57 AM »
I too invested in E. Wilson rest.. I no longer belong to a sportsman club. Since I can now shoot in any farmers field that allows me too.  So instead of spending lets say $50.00 plus dollars per year for membership the rest is already paid for... It outstanding for sighting in all your rifles... from 12 gauge slug guns, to 3006, all the way down to 22 WMR.

I have harvested so many fox now just with a 22 WMR Marlin bolt action and a cheap BSA illuminated scope and EW rest.. 

IMO....Most important thing is a good light on the rifle and a good rest for night time shooting and you will get more fur...You have to be standing when you shoot... All you people that sit down on the ground and use tripod like the Harris are selling yourself short.... You need to be standing and using a good rest so you  can see the predators coming in  500 yards away...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 05:42:32 AM »
I'll second that.
Jake
York, PA

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »
It might be time to check one of those rests out. I want to check it out in person first though. I bought a primos tripod trigger stik that I think will do fine for now. It's gotten some ghogs already with it and most of my shots are under 100 yards at night. I do want one if I feel that it's practically for how I hunt. Sometimes I park the truck and walk a couple mile circle hitting different fields. I've only heard great things about this rest but I don't like to purchase things before I see them.
FayetteNam

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 05:16:11 AM »
     I have a Primo's Tripod Trigger Stick also.....It now collects dust.
Jake
York, PA

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »
It might be time to check one of those rests out. I want to check it out in person first though. I bought a primos tripod trigger stik that I think will do fine for now. It's gotten some ghogs already with it and most of my shots are under 100 yards at night. I do want one if I feel that it's practically for how I hunt. Sometimes I park the truck and walk a couple mile circle hitting different fields. I've only heard great things about this rest but I don't like to purchase things before I see them.

Predator77...you are a smart man for trying out things first.  I wish I had that control over the years...I bought way to much stuff on impulse :-).  If you can, hook up with somebody in your area that has the rest.  I had negative thoughts about using this tripod then I hunted one night with somebody who had one.  I didn't want to be willing to try it.  Well we hunted a second time together and I tried the rest.  Bought one the next day.  Best piece of predator hunting equipment I own.  Contact Ernie Wilson and he can probably set you up with someone in your area that has a rest you can demo.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 10:47:01 AM by Seeking_Coyotes »

uncle buck

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »
Predator 77 did the 17 Hornet VMAX blow up the chucks bad?  I hope that like the 17WSM rimfire... Ammo mfg make the 17 Hornet ammo in different bullet types and  grainage????? I reload anyway but I'm just saying.  I would think the  20 Grain HP MidwayUSA Dogtown bullets would be great in the  17 Hornet...

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 04:43:44 AM »
       The bullistics are quite similar to the 223.  The counterpart can't come close to that.  Most of the test targets I've seen have placed 3 rounds at 50 yards within a dime.  I think thats pretty tough to beat.   I recently purchased a CZ in 17 hornet.  I like the set trigger that feature that the CZ offers.  I can't wait to get a good scope mounted on it and try it out.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:47:43 AM by Misterjake23 »
Jake
York, PA

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 07:58:31 AM »
Please let me know because I am considering the CZ in .17 hornet as well.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!