Author Topic: Diaphragm Calls  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Diaphragm Calls
« on: July 10, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
Anybody here use them for predator hunting?  They work great and they never freeze up.  They are cheap and you can get every sound you need from them.

Diaphragm calls have been around forever but have been gaining steam in the predator hunting industry in the last three years mostly due to competition calling.  You just can't beat the sound of a latex reed. 

You can pick up any turkey diaphragm and be successful but the best ones are made specifically for predators.  Yes there is a difference.  There are four or five call makers making good quality diaphragms and the list is starting to grow.

Keep your eyes out for a new line of predator diaphragms from a highly respected call maker shortly.  In the meantime, consider giving it a try this year, you won't be disappointed.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Diaphragm Calls
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:02:03 AM »
I cant use a diaphram but do use a latex reed howler
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:23:53 AM »
I use both the diaphragm and the E.L.K. latex howler. I really like them both. The nice thing about the diaphragm is it's in your mouth all the time and its easy to instantly go into a KI-YI without having to take your hands off your gun.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Misterjake23

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 11:12:26 AM »
Bee's O'brein  has some.  I bought a howler diaphram call from him.  I haven't practiced with it  much yet though.....
Jake
York, PA
Bee's O'Brien Field Staff
If you heard my shot, Feel lucky...I wasn't aiming at you!

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 11:50:21 AM »
Yes, Bees just started making them.  The E.L.K. latex howler Rick uses and the Custom howler Ben uses work and sound great as well.  Again the latex has a great sound to it once you master it.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:39 PM »
Diaphragms are a great sound...........heck anything with latex is, but I will say that diaphragms don't have that long range capability, even with an amp horn.........This will be the first season I will be using them in the field, I've done some messing around this summer with them and got responses, but still prefer open reed howlers

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
Yes you are correct with that but I have not yet proven that it hurts us with the type of terrain we hunt here in PA.  Even up north were you are at.  Good luck with them this year Bees.  Kill a bunch!

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
yes true everything up here has yet to be tested as far as me with diaphrams.................I actually am excited to see how well they work up here...........no doubt about it I do know one thing about them.............if you can use them they will be a valuable tool

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:11:34 PM »
Bees, I called several coyotes in with them last year in Cameron county, one from at least a mile away as far as I could tell.  Just never sealed the deal.  When your on top of them big hills they reach pretty far.  Problem is, I am not a patient man and prefer the short hunts.  Lol

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 04:30:22 PM »
cant wait to see what my diaphragms do up here........I know they've worked out west for folks so far.........I also like the short hunts lol maybe that's why i'd rather call grays these days!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Bees your diaphragm sounds great. i've been playing around slot with the the one you sent me... Rick
Rick Comport

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 05:01:40 PM »
rick I believe you got a pup howler A lot's changed on the diaphragms since then got some deeper voiced ones going on now. Got some thicker latex from a PPHA brother on here and have had a blast with them since!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
rick I believe you got a pup howler A lot's changed on the diaphragms since then got some deeper voiced ones going on now. Got some thicker latex from a PPHA brother on here and have had a blast with them since!

Well make me some up and I'll get them off you when I come up for the show in September.
Rick Comport

Offline Bees OBrien

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 07:27:20 AM »
i will have some at the show!

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
Great see you there bud