Author Topic: Hoping for an outstanding Summer Shroom Season  (Read 4832 times)

uncle buck

Hoping for an outstanding Summer Shroom Season
« on: July 03, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »
Hoping this Summer the Golden Chanterelles will be up in abundance because of all the warm weather and the rain we have had... I am also going to be on the look out for the Black Trumpets (Chanterelle).... Been trying to locate these in my home county but it's seems to be tough... You find them along streams in Moss. but just got an outstanding Pa shroom book and it stressed the Black Trumpets don't come out until August/September...

Chanterelle ......get out there and get them... they are easy to ID and they are quite choice...

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Hoping for an outstanding Summer Shroom Season
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:14:27 AM »
Have you found any yet?  I haven't looked in my honey hole yet this year.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
I keep a log book and 13 July is when I start to find the Golden Chanterelles.. Now with this rain it might be earlier...However i'm soon going to venture out to my spots too.. Something you find your spot and you would think the woods would be filled with them in the next acre etc.. Not the case for Golden Chanterelles..

I still have some in the freezer... I froze them in water in containers as a test! I will have to thaw them out and see if freezing in liquid in a container or a good freezer bag in water makes them fresh as just picked..

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »
Thanks.  Let me know how they turn out.  I dried some last year and half of them molded on me and the other half I really did not care for when I re-constituted them.  The tastes was great but they were a little tough.  I thought I had them dry enough but they still molded after about a month.  Looking for a better way.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
Found some 'chicken of the woods' but no chanterellas. Hoping to get some looking in this weekend...throughout the month...need to get in the woods and hang some archery stands anyway.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 09:15:27 PM »
I found some golden chanterelles today.. However the heat last week... They were small.. you would have to pick them up with a pair of  tweezers!!! I left them to grow. The start of today rain in SCPA will help the Chanterelle.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 08:03:24 AM »
With this rain, how fast will the little ones grow until you could pick them?  Three days or so?

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
I remember an old shroomer  who said that after a days rain they got out there that next morning!  Now this was in regards to black trumpets! Logic  would make you think how could something the size of a toothpick grow 100% in size over night! Remember to shroom could be growing under leaves and a bit of rain make them become avalable!  If you saw the small golden Chanterelle and left them grow! I would go back in about three days!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:55:22 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 07:46:40 AM »
That's what I thought.  Thanks for confirming.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
I found about a 5gal bucket full of chantrelles two weeks ago.  I havent found any black trumpets yet.  I always find them along creeks up on the high banks under oaks.  They are very hard to spot and IMO not as good as the chantrelles.