Author Topic: Light Beams  (Read 2124 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Light Beams
« on: November 21, 2012, 09:01:24 AM »
Let me first start by saying I am not downing any light or individual.  I have a serious question and would like to hear your thoughts on the subject.  Do you think there is an advantage or disadvantage to the type of light beam a light throws?  Tight, flood, no spill, hot spot, even, dull and so on. 

I am leaning toward a flood type light for this reason.  A flood type light means less movement.  A flood type light means a bigger shield for me to hide behind and more light on the subject and surroundings.  A flood type light helps me identify faster and easier and last but not least is awesome for video work.

Yes it easier to light up your hunting partner but if you know how to run a light, this should never happen anyway, especially if it's mounted on your gun or rest.  The use of halo shields is not needed for any light, again if you are using your light correctly.

I am starting to dislike tight beam lights especially ones with a hot spot for the exact opposite the reasons I posted above.  This is just my opinion and hunting styles will often dictate light usage, especially shotgunners.  I would think a flood would be best for a shotgunner simply for the wider field of view.

"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Light Beams
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:00:13 PM »
I like the wider beam especially for scanning.You pretty much covered the reasons why.For a gun mounted shooting light a tight beam works well because in most cases your looking through a scope with a limited field of view and the beam size matches your field of view.