Author Topic: Light color  (Read 7878 times)

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
Re: Light color
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 11:47:14 AM »
Foxtrot
I will give you some information that might help you if you try a white light. I found that a flashlight with a big halo worked betrer. If i used the center of the light held right on them when they started to get close it seamed to confuse the critters.
I think that it would start to blind them some and cause a lot of shadows in front of them and may be part of there confusion. I would watch them go right and left when comming in to try and see better. They were not trying to get my wind with this back and forth movement.  If to much white light was on them they would sometimes just stay out there and set down. I will tell you that you can learn better with a white light because you can see the critters body and there body language better. The problem is useing a white light you have to worry about making mistakes with the light more. Like if you shine on a tree or a bush or anythiing that will cast light back on you they can see you. In the woods it is realy hard to stop that from happening.
For a long time when useing a red light I worried about that happening to me with bounce back light and the halo, but have found that with red led lights I do not have that happen very much if any. With red led flashlights the bounce back of light and halo lighting me up in some ways it seams that affect is almost gone. I still keep the light off my hunting partener becase they will see you them. So with red led flashlights it seams as long as I keep 80 % of the light in front of me I do not even worry about lighting up my forearm and gun. With white light you do not get away with it.

For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

uncle buck

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 04:53:09 PM »
I have learned from the kind soul Buckwheat!
Keep the shooting light illuminated at all times and pointed in the direction you think the predator will come from to your call!
Rifle is in tripod and 250 Killlight on!  Using a scanning light when it's time to shoot I shut my Coyote light off while I'm standing behind the tripod! The illuminated light on your scope and barrel shields you! You look down the scope and shoot the fox or coyote. Color doesn't matter! Secret is to keep your shooting light on! Be it red, green or white! You hit them with a light that is turned off they run away! If the light is on they don't spook! Just buy plenty of Killlight batteries and change the battery after every 2 to 3 stands! I would like to say thank you to (Ernie) Buckwheat for showing me this!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 04:54:57 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 08:18:09 AM »
Good stuff guys.  I too learned some lighting techniques from Ernie.

There are a lot of variables to running a light and thats part of hunting.  I can not explain why you can flood a fox at ten yards with three lightforce lights and not spook it yet another time they sit down a couple hundred yards away. 

The two or three fox I shot with the green light was when the kill light first came out.  Jeremiah gave me the green LED module to test out.  I honestly can not remember if I saw eyes or was shooting at a body.  I just know it was slightly easier to identify. 

It seems you can kill a predator with any color light as we are hearing with the responses to this thread.  It also seems more important on how you run and handle your light then the color.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »
Lookn4fur
I think if you pick then out far with a lot of light and you stay on them they do not get as nervous and come in.
If you hit them with a ton of light all at once up close it is the same as turning a light on. That can make them set down or spook them. White light seems to spook them faster with less light.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
Yes, I would definately agree with that.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:11 PM »
Well I did a comparison of red and amber and the animals didn't seem to care either way but I could identify better with the red light.It seems there was more glare from the amber than the red.I would still like to try green sometime.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 07:59:29 AM »
Do you have a kill light?  I will let you borrow my green LED if you do.

Don't forget the brightness of the night (Moon) and weather (Fog, Rain, Snow) will also dictate how well you can see with certain colors.  I think green is the best for light fog.  Red for dark nights and amber for snow cover.  Seems like to much bother so I stick with red all the time.  Might give white a good try this year.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
I have used white with good success but prefer my amber light above the rest. It comes down to personal preference. Honestly, I probably prefer amber because I have so many good memories using that color. Red usually stays in my 'predator hunting' bag. If I need help identifying an animal, I pop just remove the amber lense cover and go to white light. Most times fox don't seem to care. thats just me...

uncle buck

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
I like to pull out the 250 or the 100 green Killlight from my bag if I knock down a predator and have to scan for it..So I would never get rid of the green lights..
Also if you have one that hangs up way out there and won't come in it's good to put the green light on it to see just what kind canine it is.
So it's not bad to own a green and a red light... I do use  the Coyote Light for shotgunning and for spotting for eyes when I use the rifle... However I like the red  250 Killlight for shooting.. 
Like Tim said too.  Once the moon phases start to change you can get away with green and white.  I can't say pop cover amber anymore since that why you get busted when you use pop covers IMO.  On pitch dark nights red is the best... As the moon brightens you can go to green and white... Dennis Kirk always recommended using the yellow during the full moon...
Just look at all the things you can do some research on as the moon phase changes...I know over dirty snow I use to use the amber pop covers then... Might be good to try the green then or the white on dark nights over dirty or old snow.
I will tell you this... You break just how to use the lights your going to get fur... Thats the most important thing.. Even more then calling sounds...Now you do have to be able to shoot with those lights too.
Last year I did so well with the E. Wilson tripod and of all guns the  22 WMR and Winchester Dynacaps ammo .  I did use the red  250 Killlight...

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
Lookn4fur,Thanks for the offer but I do not have a kill light.I noticed with the amber the eyes really lit up but I thought it was harder to make out the body.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:54:10 PM by foxtrot »

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
I use white also never had a problem

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
Bulldog
What light are you using in white?

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2012, 04:39:19 AM »
Same headlamp i have. I think he has a white killlight as well
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
Yep what ben said

Offline CoyoteLight

• www.CoyoteLight.com
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 04:44:35 PM »
The red color reflects the predators eyes the best.  Also, using red is a huge advantage because it doesn't ruin your eyes night vision.  If you turn on a white or green light it will take a few minutes for your eyes to fully recover their night vision.
CoyoteLight Inc.
"Made by predator hunters for predator hunters"

Made in PA!