Author Topic: Weird Things at Night  (Read 4406 times)

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
Weird Things at Night
« on: May 23, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
Just thought I'd start a thread for people to share some stories about the weird things that happened to them while night time predator hunting.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:36:43 PM by foxfx »

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
Re: Weird Things at Night
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:30:59 PM »
Several times I've had owls swoop down within several feet of me while I was making distressed rodent and rabit sounds.  Most times this surprises me to hear their wings and sometimes catch them in my light beam.   I've had some incidents where I couldn't get the incoming fox to pause for a shot and had them run within spitting distance of me.  Should have been carying my shotgun!

One night I was hunting in Clearfield county on a powerline.  I was about 2 minutes into my calling session when suddenly I hear this loud, piercing cat like scream about 200 yards away. I believe this was some kind of cat....  not sure... but it sure made me feel uncomforatable.

I dropped shortmagger off one night right beside a small single wire fence that was about three foot off the ground.  I told him this was an awesome huntng spot.  He started his calling session and in a few minutes he shot a fox.  After the shot he heard a snort and swung around with his red light only to see he was shining at a pretty pissed off bull. He tried to walk parralel with the fence while staying as far away as he could.  The bull followed him along the side of the fence for about 80yds.  The bull was snorting and pawing the entire time.  The gun shot and red light created a pissed off bull that was only being held back by a flimsy single wire fence.  I can't believe shortmagger talks to me anymore.  This was a spot I've hunted before without having problems with the neighbor's bull.

Night hunting will bring unwanted attention to you by neighbors, passer-byes, and police.  I've met some really nice folk that nod their heads and smile after you explain what you are doing.  I've also met some arragont types as well.  Some people assume you are trying to poach deer.

Twice I had police officers hold me up for about 45 minutes insisting that night hunting was illegal.  After checking me out very carfefully and calling the Game Commission, they had to let me go.  "Don't tase me bro!"

I ran into a guy who was a neighbor to the farmer whos field I was hunting.  He claimed that because he owned a field that was "land joining" to the field I was standing in, he had the right to make me leave.  His field was about 400 yards away.  I had permission to be hunting in the field I was in.  We had a heated debate and after harrassing me for about 10 minutes he left.

This past season one night I was hunting by myself.   I had this large, dark aircraft without any lights on, make several low altitude passes over me while I was out calling in a field.   It looked like a four engine military prop plane, but it was extremely quiet considering the low altitude.  It seemed like they were making passes over me to see what I was doing.  They must have had some kind of thermal imaging equipment.  It was really weird.  I kept feeling like big brother was watching me was about to "SWAT team" me.  White boy in a field by himself at night with a rifle... definitely a terrorist.  I know this sound a bit far out, but its true.

I live for these nights.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:37:29 PM by foxfx »

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:43:48 PM »
Not sure where you are from but all the areas that surround the gap or hia has a lot of activity with training ops.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »
Well I have to say I had seen some weird things at night. Their is two that stand out. Two years ago was hunting a farm about 12:30 at night. Was at my setup for about 10 mins then come this truck down off the road that borders the field I was in. When this happens I turn of my lights and just wait. Well they started spotlighting the field I was hunting in then they poched a deer. Did not get to catch up with them that night.

This year hunting in the Mosquito Creek hunt my partner and I was driving down the same road that I mention and seen a truck with its head lights on sitting right along the road. Well i came to a stop and two guys came from behind the truck got in thier truck and took off before I could ask them if they needed any help. I started to do some thinking and got out of the truck and looked around. Well their was a fresh dead doe laying 10 yards along the road. This was about 100 yards from where the deer was killed 2 years before. I could see it happen once in my life predator hunting but 2 times in 2 years 100 yards from each other.

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 10:59:08 PM »
Ive called in a couple of bear while trying for yotes up in Tioga....not the best feeling when a cub attacks your decoy and youve got to walk out during the dark
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
me and leglifter got shot at by some dumb ass that thought we were going to TP his house.

Offline CoyoteLight

• www.CoyoteLight.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 12:38:39 AM »
Agreed foxfx... the owls love the rabbit in distress calls.  In Lycoming County I had an owl pick up my call a few feet off the ground and drop it.  Then the owl stood next to the call for about 20 seconds looking rather confused at it's prey, then flew away.

The cops are usually not educated about the hunting laws and have no clue it's legal to hunt at night.  Last season the police showed up at a farm I was hunting because someone heard a gun shot and reported it.  3 cops showed up that were all jacked up because they just responded to a breaking and entering where they had to take someone down.   So to say the least, they were not in a friendly mood.  But after about 15 minutes and a call to the Game Commission they admitted we were doing nothing wrong.

CoyoteLight Inc.
"Made by predator hunters for predator hunters"

Made in PA!