Author Topic: 300 yard or longer shots are mammoth shots  (Read 12967 times)

Offline foxfx

• Junior Forum Member
Re: 300 yard or longer shots are mammoth shots
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
foxtrot
Most fixed parallax scopes are set at 100 or 150 yards.  Many rimfire scopes are set at 50 yards.  If you shoot at a range that is closer or farther  than your parallex free range, you will have some error.  This error is visible if you fix your rifle on steady rest (like a shooting bags) and move your head side to side while focusing on the target.  You will notice your crosshairs seem to wiggle or move around. By doing this test you can see how much error you are getting.   For big game hunting, fixed parallax scopes usually don't pose a problem because of the larger target size.  As a fixed parallax scope's power increases  or if the objective lens gets larger, the parallax error grows.  A 32mm objective, fixed 4x power scope will have very little parallax error at varied ranges.  A 12 power scope with a 50mm objective will have a larger error at varied ranges.  There is a way you can "cheat" the parallax error on a fixed parallax scope.  This is done by moving your head back outside the normal eye relief zone until you see a black halo around the picture.  Make sure this black halo has equal thickness the entire way around the sight picture and then touch the trigger.

conclusion:

For precise benchrest and varmint shooting at ranges greater than 200 yards, I recommend using an adjustable parallax scope to ajust out the error.   You will definitely see your group sizes shrink when the parallax error is diminished.

Not to sound like a salesman, but the Nikon Buckmasters 18power scope with target turrets is a  pretty slick scope without breaking the bank.  Perhaps I'm biased because I own one.  ;)

Happy shooting!

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »
wow...great stuff
J.Cooper
District 4, Camp Hill

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
Im stuck at 300 yds appx. Longest shot so far is 330 yds lasered. I missed a hog at 450 the other night with the .243. I didnt account for the wind. Stupid mistake. If i would have accounted for it i might be looking for 500 yds
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 07:31:55 PM »
Bigben
That is why I said a 300 yard shot is a mammoth shot to start this post. At 300 yards and out things change a lot. When i get over 300 yards I like a good spotter to help me with shots.  There are a lot of things to consider closely and wind is a big one.
Just think how good the guys are at making all the calculations for the 1000 yard shots. A friend of mine shot a ground hog at 1360 yards.  I have be blessed of having him teach me a lot. I had made two 700 yard ground hog shots with his help. I find that my ability with the guns I have is 500 yards is about my limit. That is going to change when I find a gun I like and can afford. I already have a target 6 to 20 luopold just waiting to set on a good rifle. :-) Bigben, That gun that is making them tight groups will shoot out to 500 yards, just keep at it.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 02:47:14 PM »
Well we just got done shooting at 900 yds and i have a video of a one shot hit on a sillouette target. The shooter was shooting a 300 win mag while standing shooting off ernies tripod. Very impressive
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 10:06:13 PM »
I'm a big fan of the .17 Fireball but I shoot everything 50 yards and closer so wind is not an issue for me.  If I was hunting in windy conditions beyond 100 yards which I never do for fox, I guess I would step up to a .223 with a 50 grain Nosler ballistic tip.  I think the .223 is a great PA coyote gun.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
Bigben
That a great shot, at that far everything has to be just right. Thanks again for sending the video.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 08:08:55 PM »
Here is the video
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj45/bigben8011/880ydshot.mp4

It was a neat experience. I ended up taking a .243 that i had all but given up on till the week before i sat down and cleaned the gun down to bare steel. What didnt make sense was it shot incomsistant. Like something was loose. 500 bullets downrange and literally all summer i got a load that was consistant. It shot .5-.75 groups. I mounted a cheap tasco mildot scope figuring that i could dial up and use the mil dots for holdover points. When we got up on the mountian i was shakin with anticipation. 20 rds later i hit the 880 yd target once and the 800 ud target three times. 90% of the problem after the first shot is being worked up. I was that excited to ahoot that range i found myself wanting to look at the target to make sure it hit. Flight time for the .243 was a second and a half. So it took three seconds to hear the smack.  I cant wait till i get another chance at it and this time i'll have a good scope and concentrate.

This was the mountian we were shooting too. The middle mountian not the far one. It was impressive to be literally within ft of hitting the target the first time. The problem i had was misinterpreting the spotters details on where the bullet was landing.

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:38 AM »
Ben that was awesome!!
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Cooper13

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
  • Hern's Fire Hand