Author Topic: .17 Hornet...not a typo  (Read 6153 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: .17 Hornet...not a typo
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 08:55:52 PM »
I agree Buckwheat a 25 grain hollow point seems like a better choice.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 11:03:16 PM »
the shoulder angle isn't as sharp as the "K" Hornet but still quite the attractive looking round... I think that's gonna be the one to build the contender action into instead of the 17 Fireball... will make a nice light stalkin rifle...

being as I already load the Hornet I have a supply of cases, primers and powder on hand all I'll need is bullets and dies... I'm wondering what sort of velocities I'll get outta a case full of lil-gun?... I get 3250fps outta the K with a 40gr VMax and 13½gr lil-gun... should be interesting...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

uncle buck

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
I too was wondering if it was the Ackley 17 Hornet??? Http://www.eabco.com/ will make the Ackley 17 Hornet for Encore or Contender user if you desire.. cost would be about $350.00 for a custom barrel..Sometimes you might have to wait 6 months to get the special custom barrel.  However their barrels do shoot well!!!!

Once you own an Encore action you can get all kinds of barrels..Some for $249.00 new but it won't be a 17 Hornet!!

uncle buck

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 11:11:04 PM »
Tell me the truth, please.  How many of you guys are hunting for fur to sell.  And if you are, why ain't you trapping?  Dick Taylor  aka/papa1

See some of us do trap when we get the urge...With all the respect to trappers since I am one too.. It's a lot of hard work preping the traps or  cables.  Checking the traps daily.. The gas you use to.. Some of my trap lines extended a small distance.. 35 miles round trip... Now do that for 30 days...1050 miles..That's like driving from here to Branson, Mo...

I find that I tend to really hit the predators to hard when I trap...I  don't get the same feeling when I dispatch a fox in a cable compared to when I lift one off the forest floor or field after calling it in and shooting it..  If I do set cables I am forced to sell every bit of fur I get to pay for all that gas... Where as when I call I don't really call 30 days in a roll... Trapping is hard work... This is just me talking here...However I do find it a bit easy to catch fox or coyotes then it is to call them in and outsmart them...You have to use every trick you have in the book...  Also not that I don't sell my fur when I call them in either.. Sure I do.. It all depends on how I feel.. Sometimes I will tan them and just see how they turn out... I'm always trying all kinds of things out. This is just me and how I feel whats  up there between my shoulders...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 11:14:23 PM by uncle buck »

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 06:06:45 PM »
Its not the K-hornet a little diffrent angle.   I wonder if you can convert a 17 hmr to 17 hornet?  I have scene many 22 mag winchesters converted to 22 hornet and K.  It would be single shot but thats ok.