Author Topic: .17 Hornet...not a typo  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
.17 Hornet...not a typo
« on: December 15, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »
Savage is releasing their new cartridge in .17 hornet model 25 in 2012! Hornady is loading up the factory rounds, and is supposed to have the same drop as a .223, but in a smaller necked down version of the .22 hornet, now will it be a good choice for fur? I really wish they would just make the .17 fireball already!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: .17 Hornet...not a typo
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »
ANOTHER .17 to choose from.I do like the idea though.The down side to the 22 hornet was its trajectory and this takes care of that problem.Its probably simple economics for savage because the model 25,22 hornets were probably being out sold by the fireballs so a simple barrel change gives you a 17 hornet.I will give it a serious look.I'm sure the fireball owners will cut on it pretty hard.

Offline Thirty Cal

• Aim small, miss small!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of new cartridges and ballistics. With all that's available for the handloader in a .223 for example or .222 or .17 Remington or .22-250, I have to question what niche is actually being filled with a .17Hornet. Ammo is probably going to be $$$$$
District 2 but will hunt anywhere, even my home state of MD.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 11:27:05 AM »
Probably would be an excellent fox gun...I truly like the 17's.. I have a 17 Fireball and I have 17 Rem..
when people get to own a 17 center fire it makes them want to hunt chucks more... However I have to admit I kidg of like hunting chucks with  the  22250 too..

Certain parts of the state the Hornets are awesome little guns..  Places like in NEPA where you really don't have wide open farm fields and a lot of wood lots.. That is where the 22 Hornet and this 17 Hornet will excel!!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:28:15 AM by uncle buck »

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 03:54:49 PM »
yeah i don't know now...i wanted to get a fireball or a 22 hornet for my next rifle, and i think remington makes a fireball without the heavy barrel which I most definately do not want, and the savage makes the model 25 now in a synthetic 22 hornet. I have a model 25 in .223 thumbhole, and i love it, making me want to get that 22 hornet in the same gun. people tell me to sell my .223, but its hard for me to let go a gun that I know is dead nuts, and it would be nice to have around for yote huntin or chucks. and now there is a .17 hornet in a savage, that i want, but i wanted to see savage make a .17 fireball! ehhhhh! either way, it will be a while til I have enough funs for a new rifle anyhow, so i've got plenty of time to think about it haha...keep the opinions rolling, I think this is an interesting topic. BTW, the 17 hornet was introduced in the 1950's, no one has made guns again for it til now, so its not exactly new.
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 04:05:18 PM »
It would be hard to sell a gun that shoots well but if all its going to do is collect dust and I needed the funds move on to better things.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 07:42:10 PM »
Critterslayer51
Well I think the 17 hornet would be fun to shoot and might make a cool fox gun. But if I was going for fox in a coyote area with a 20 grain bullet it might stay home too often. If you reload you could shoot 25 grain hollow points and might make it even more fur friendly. You know there is no gun that covers all the bases. The 223 covers a lot more then the 17 hornet does. But like I said 17 hornet might be a fun gun to shoot for fox. I will stick with my 17 rem 25 grain hollow point. Kind of covers it all but is not real fur friendly a lot of the time. I do think another gun is what we all need. This little hornet looks like fun, save your money.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Papa1

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 09:40:50 PM »
Tell me the truth, please.  How many of you guys are hunting for fur to sell.  And if you are, why ain't you trapping?  Dick Taylor  aka/papa1
NRA Life-Benefactor   USP Member  SASS Life member  Mosquito Creek Life Member

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 10:02:30 PM »
Papa1
I am not hunting for fur. I just like hunting and do not waist them.  I keep and give to my fur to a local buyer. I get anywhere from $2 to $10. You can guess why some are $2. :-)

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 11:22:38 PM »
Papa1,I defiantly want fur to sell that's one of the reasons I stick with the pea shooters,but your point about trapping instead of hunting is a good one and I wonder that myself sometimes.I quess its an addiction.

Offline Dale

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 11:23:06 PM »
the only way I'd mess with this round is if it were based on the 22 K-Hornet... that would make it an extremely accurate and quite fast round for the size of the case... it would also make it easier to handle around the loading bench... if they're not going to blow the case out to "K" configuration I'd go with the 17 Fireball...
when you step out the truck, you become part of the food chain...

Genius by birth....    slacker by choice!...

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 07:56:18 AM »

looks like it might be a good fox cartridge.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 08:15:01 AM »
Bigben
Nice looking little case, I would load it with a 25 gr.hollow point. It would fill the void between the hornet and the fireball a little better. I am not big on those little 20 gr. ballistic tips. I would like to see a 25 grain pointed soft point made by some one some day also for the 17 cal.

Tri-X-Stand Rifle

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
I am not a re-loader and know nothing about it but was thinking the same thing Buckwheat.  I am interested in this cartridge and want to see it in action. 

For the record I am not looking to sell fur for a profit but choose to not waste what I shoot.  I do trap but very little.  Again not to put up numbers but because I enjoy it.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 08:21:44 PM »
It could be the ackley hornet. Ill have to look into it.  I always wanted to build one now I can buy one.  If you reload you can form them from the 22hornet brass.  And you will not find somthing cheaper to load if im not mistaken its over 500rds to a pound of powder.  But how does it compair to the 5.7 savage is offering in the 25?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 08:26:24 PM by jeremybrua »