Author Topic: Bobcat trapping  (Read 12304 times)

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
Bobcat trapping
« on: December 09, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
Does anyone have any experience trapping bobcats? I had trail cameras out where I hunt in 4D through the summer and fall and got a ton of bobcat pictures. I hope to try and trap one when the season opens and wasn't sure what kind of sets to make. I have experience making dirt hole and blind sets for fox. I never tried to trap a bobcat before and thought maybe a cubby set would be good to make. Any info would be great. Thanks

Claybird

Re: Bobcat trapping
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 04:51:08 PM »
put your trap were you take pitures haha hope this helpd

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »
I haven't set for any but the boys here at work all have and they say a bucket with deer scraps thrown in the back and cover trap in front of bucket(cubby set). I know a lot of guys up here in potter also hang 3-4 CD's from some fishin line along the edge of a field. Set trap directly below the stand of CD's that will hang from a nearby tree. The field line keeps'm in line, and they are attracted to the reflections of hte CD's, and while jumping up and swatting at the, hopefully they land a paw on your pan. Some people use the tape pulled from the inside of an old cassette as well, and hang that off a branch. I've been told by some of the old timers in town, that they don't even cover their traps with anything, and if anything, just sawdust...and i've seen the mounts, they've caught a few. Again, only what i've been shown and told, never set for cats because I didn't have the time to travel north just for bobcats,but now that I live here, tag is on the way!
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
Setting some traps this weekend for an ol bobcat. The way it sounds they should be easy to catch but have a big home range. Maybe I can pick up a yote or fox running my bobcat line. Just trapping one property, but they have been there pretty regular.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 05:23:10 AM »
Good Luck CN.
I recall the radio collar study on Bobcat by Dr. Matt Lavello, PGC Wildlife Bioligist. He stated that PA. Bobcat home range mainly included the 'sunny side' of the mountain or ridge.
I have caught many cats: Barncat, Housecat and Ferralcat and Bobcat.
Some key things-
Set on location. Set up good locations with 2 or 3 sets within sight of one another. It's just as easy to check 2-4 traps at a stop as  it is to look at 1 trap. And it's neat to see 2 or 3 or 4 critters sitting there waiting on you....a double on Coon and a Grey or a Possum, Coyote and Red or a Bobcat and Grey double.
Bed trap properly. Take the time to make good sets. Bed trap propertly. Be open for business and have set working.
Location   A good Bobcat location is also a good location for other critters. Funny thing in Pa. when we set traps at a good land location...we can catch Reds, Greys, Coon, Coyote, Fisher, Bobcat, Skunk and Possum (also an occasional Mink or Weasel). So set a few traps at this location with different scents and you will be opened for business when a critter comes along and be thankful for any furbearer. I am saying be prepared to catch and hold any critter because it's not possible to just target Bobcat with foothold traps.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 07:07:40 AM »
Not sure what my trouble is. I caught two coon but no bobcats. Maybe my bait is not stinky enough or they just haven't been through yet. Some people have told me bobcats have a large home range. You would think that in a week's time they would come through the area where my traps are set. Maybe I need more patience...thanks to the rain for the added work and half ruined sets...maybe thats why I haven't connected yet.

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »
I wonder how the cat trapper are doing???

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 09:30:03 AM »
Here is an update on my Bobcat trapline. 2 coons, 1 coyote, 1 red fox. Due to my inexperience with trapping coyotes or bobcats I learned the hard way that most of my traps must not be quite big enough to hold bobcats or coyotes. I lost a coyote due to trap failure to hold him, and I believe I lost a bobcat but didn't have tracks to prove it. The "lost bobcat" was at a cubby set that a fox or coyote would be to smart to enter. Live and learn...I am going to try and get some pics posted. If I can't fill my cat tag trapping, maybe I can call one in when that season opens.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 09:59:32 AM »

Here is the red fox

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »

coyote...sure is mad

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 06:06:55 AM »
Very nice, keep after those cats!

Offline Grass Stain

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
He not bad , at least you caught some canines. Good Job
"Live Life for what tomorrow has to offer,Not for what yesterday has taken away!"

D.Sapko
District 6

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
Nice catch. Now you said you belive your traps didn't hold a coyote and or bobcat, I would like to know what size trap are you talking about only because I'm new at this and could use the info...thanks ED

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
Icecube,   Most of my traps I used are old #2 that my dad used to use. I cleaned them up and thought they would work. I also have 2 #3 or 4 Montana coyote traps. The coyote I caught was in one of them. The trap that lost a coyote was an older #2. The pan of the trap dropped to  far and caught under the springs keeping them from closing all the way. The coyote could easily pull out. My second miss was a double long spring victor also from my dad's collection. I have no explanation there. Other than that since this year is my first to trap these critters I must not have placed the trap just right for a good foot catch.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
i would bet you missed with the long spring because of the pan tention, or should i say lack of.  good job on the fox and yote!