Author Topic: Hunting styles  (Read 4634 times)

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
Hunting styles
« on: January 14, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
What are some favorite hunting styles you all like to use,such as tripods,bipods,monopods,freehand etc.??Explain why.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: Hunting styles
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:02:41 PM »
All depends on what im hunting...but I always have a bipod on my gun.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »
I think any shooting aid is better than free hand and I have all that you mentioned.  For me, I prefer to stand so I like something tall.  My knees are not the best anymore and don't like to get up and down too much.  I will still sit or kneel if the set up dictates. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »
Foxtrot I also have all that you mention. But the best system that works for me is the monopod and my chair. I cant think of the name of the chair and I dont think  they even make it anymore. The best about the monopod and the chair is it is great if you hunt by yourself. With the monpod I can move the gun form side to side easier and the chair lets me take everything with me that I need for a nights hunting.

I dont need a tree for this chair it has a metal frame built into it. If need be I can stay on stand for long periods of time (hunting the bobcats) comfortably and not get my butt wet. I take everything in this. From ecaller, hand calls,mouthcalls, ammo,extra batteries,wind checker, decoy,monopod and redbull if need be.

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 05:26:29 PM »
I have tried all of the above also and always seem to come back to the monopod.I agree with you brushwolf about the ease of being able to move from side to side and the compactness of the setup.It depends a little on the type of terrain your hunting.I also like being lower to the ground and less visible.Its easier to hide a 3 foot tall object versus a 6 foot tall person.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 02:33:53 AM »
For night hunting rifling....The tripod and standing... When you sit down how do you expect to see predators coming to your call on the horizon...they can be on top of you within seconds.. Besides I like to hide behind my Kill Lights or Coyote Lights..your bipods will work if you get up on high ground and look down.. However if your hunting in flat stuble corn you ain't going to see anything sitting down....

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »
Now hear me out before you blow an O ring.I have used a tripod quite a lot this year. I was dead set against it before but I thought I would give it a fair shake.I know I will tramp on a lot of toes but I mean no disrespect.Here's my findings.
Tripod advantages1.Able to see further for longer shots.
                              2.Standing is more comfortable.
                              3.Slightly more accurate
      Disadvantages1.More gear to carry
                              2.Cannot be set up quickly if eyes are seen
                              3.Have to stradle legs to do a 90 degree
                              4.More visible from angles not protected by light
Monopod advantages1.lightweight easy to carry
                                  2.Ready in an instant
                                  3.Less visible to predators
                                  4.Able to move side to side with ease
          Disadvantages1.Have to kneel or sit on ground
                                  2.Cannot see as far
                                  3.Not as accurate but doesn't have to be because shots are closer.

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »
Well thanks for sharing your findings. Never gave standing setup a fair shot. Might have to do some setups standing.

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »
That pretty much sums it up as I see it also.  Thats why I think you have to be well rounded and apply your style to the set up if possible.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »
tripod for night hunting and monopod for day hunting. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 12:30:19 AM »
Here's one of ours.

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
Vmaster59
Yea, it would be cool to use one in pa. But if leagle here we would have a traffic jam on the dirt roads with all the hunters.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline vmaster59

• Junior Forum Member
  • Coyote One Production
    • West Tx. Varmint Hunting
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »
LOL!

Clint

-----------------CLICK HERE-----------------

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
I use a Harris Bi-Pod and a Cabelas Gobbler Lounge.  I don't know that I have found the perfect set up but that is what I bought and use.  I do highly recommend the chair...so much so that I bought a few spares in case they stop making it someday.  I have heard good things about Ernie Wilsons tripod from Uncle Buck but have never used it.

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »
Seeking_coyotes
Daylight hunting. Setting in a chair does keep me on stand longer with less movement. The bad part is there are too many places that I can not see like I can standing. Night time there is only one way to hunt and that is standing and shooting off my stand as far as i am concerned. I have learned to stand rather then sit and shoot off my rest. I get a lot more shots and kills this way.
 I always try to develope a standing method for shooting rather then setting down because setting limits to many shot angles. The view setting limits my ability to see and hit what I shoot at.  That is why a hight rack truck is liked so much were legal, you get a solid rest and can see better. When deer and ground hog hunting I set up my tripod and set in a chair but stand to shoot. I wanted to mess with my gilly suit in daylight fox hunting this year a little more wile standing behind my rest but I have not had time. I do think it will work just fine. I been on day time coyote hunts were all 4 of us stood in the bushes with bows and arrows and had a movie camera running on a tripod and called coyotes into 10 yards. So me alone in the woods should not present a problem that I know of for fox.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!