Author Topic: 2 kill light or not 2 kill light  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
2 kill light or not 2 kill light
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »
I shot a coon Saturday with my mossberg an it took me 3 shoots. The light i had to use was my head lamp.Now i have tru glow sights on my gun. What i want to know is should I get used to my head lamp or spend the money on a kill light?

Claybird

Re: 2 kill light or not 2 kill light
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:52 PM »
put your mony in better ammo . is the mossberg a shotgun/?

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:44 PM »
yea 835 an i was using dead coyotes 3.5

Offline Whiteknuckle

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Bulldog,
If you decide on a Kill-Light please contact me by email at boondockoutdoors@verizon.net and ill get you set up.

When hunting with a shotgun I scan with a headlamp and use a 100 model kill-light on the gun.

Jeremiah

Offline prdtrkilr223

• Junior Forum Member
  • There aint no such thing as too dead...
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
I use a scanning light and a 250 kill light. I just switch it out from one gun to another. Its a little bright at shotgun range but usually by the time it goes on its lights out a second after that anyway. :) either way you can't go wrong with the kill light, they are awsome and well priced for everything you can get with them.

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 06:08:24 PM »
thax for the help

Claybird

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 06:39:05 PM »
buldog you missed
any flashlite will work

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 08:55:32 PM »
yea because i had problems seeing my sights. you never missed

Claybird

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 10:14:19 AM »
heck yea i miss
i mean any lite works for shotguns you dont need new lite

Offline Bulldog

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 05:59:24 PM »
ok just lookin to upgrade

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 09:58:49 PM »
I'm asking for one from my wife for Christmas. I know the ppha guys swear by them. It's small, light weight and very powerful. I don't think you can go wrong with it
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

Offline shortmagger

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 01:11:19 PM »
Whiteknuckle is using a great setup in my opinion.  I just bought the XL100 off of him in green and also bought the red module for that light.  I love it.  The green will light up a fox at 180 yds, plenty enough light.  The red in my opinion is easily bright enough for a kill light, I think it'll pick eyes up easily out to 400 yds.  Very happy with Jeremiah's sales and communication.

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
Lights... wow....actually.....predators kind of act different depending on where they live...Population impacts just how they act..... The less human population there is the less likely that they don't react to lights like they do in the populated areas of the state...

The more like (same) predators in an area they are competing for food and that to will make them act different to all kinds of lights..

So if you have a high population's of coyotes and less population of humans you probably are going to get away with just using any kind of light.

However if you hunt all over the state there are some places that the coyotes are not in great population and the human population is high...So any bright light that hits them they are going to high tail it..

If you stay in the same ole area of the state and hunt the same oh same kind of abundant predators your probably going to get it down pat just how to hunt them..

However if you travel to all 67 counties in Pa to hunt... Your better off having the best equipment.

Think about it.. There are areas in the state that all they do is post do minimal calling if any and shoot coyotes while they pass from point A to point B..  Other areas.. The coyotes are there but are few and they can do just what they want to do because there are not many of them.. These are the coyotes that are the smart ones..

What I'm trying to say is you can't take the state of Pa and say all you need is a white light... There are places that you have to use the higher technology IMO right now that is the Kill Light and the Coyote Light.

I have been hunting for 25 + years now and use to get busted all the time in SCPA by coyotes... Saying that they were light shy.. That was not the case... The Nitelite, and all the equal to with the pop covers were not adequate for the coytoes in my area.... Now using the Kill Light and The Coyote Light I know I was wrong... They weren't light shy... The pop cover lights just were inadequate for the coyotes in the populated areas that I hunt...

Also it's not just the light either... You have to have a steady shot for night time and you also have to know just how the coyotes act.. Any techniques or knowledge not used properly it over for you..

Actually when you think about what a pop cover light cost you way back when. The 100 kill Light and the coyote light or even the 250 kill light with the kit is cheap..
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:50:06 PM by uncle buck »

Offline Team Howler

• Junior Forum Member
    • Lycoming Fence Company LLC (Personal Business)
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 06:21:12 AM »
Thats awesome info Uncle buck! I'm hoping to get a kill light this christmas from my wife. I didn't get her any other options for gifts so im hoping that will work to get me the light. I see that boondocks has a kill light kit with a 100 and a 250 light and a bunch of accessories for about $229. Is this a good deal?
Hunt safely!
District 3
Matt Brown
Arsenal: Savage Model 12 22-250, Tikka T3 lite Stainless .233, Ruger model 77 mark II .243, Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 25/06
Tools
FoxPro Firestorm w/ Fox Jack, Kill Light 250 and 100, Various Hand Calls

uncle buck

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
That's awesome info Uncle buck! I'm hoping to get a kill light this Christmas from my wife. I didn't get her any other options for gifts so im hoping that will work to get me the light. I see that boondocks has a kill light kit with a 100 and a 250 light and a bunch of accessories for about $229. Is this a good deal?

That's a real good deal since you will have everything you need.  You will need the two lights to hunt properly with the Kill Lights..  This way you will get more for your money..