Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 2693 times)

Offline dibo (Bob)

• Junior Forum Member
Ticks
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:23:36 PM »
Just wanted to know if you guys have any tips on how to get rid of ticks in the fur before you start skinning? I believe the fox I got last night had some deer ticks on it they had a orange body on them.
Live everyday as its your last...

Bob Huston
District 3 Co-Coordinator

uncle buck

Re: Ticks
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 05:20:25 PM »
Put the entire carcass inside of a plastic garbage bag ASAP... Spray in a heavy duty commercial Flea and Tick Killer... Close the bag up and place it in your trunk or bed of your pick up truck... Continue hunting.. When you get home all the ticks and fleas should be dead...I  keep it closed up for a good 24 hours before I skin them in the early season... This way you won;t bring ticks and fleas into the house for other pets and the ticks and fleas will be dead..I like to use the tick and flea killer for carpets and rugs...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 05:21:35 PM by uncle buck »

Offline foxtrot

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 05:25:40 PM »
Spray animals with Happy Jack No-Hope flea and tick spray and place in a garbage bag for 24 hours.

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »
Good info guys. I have brought critters into my garage already and the next morning had ticks crawling all over the place. One night I killed around 20 ticks just trying to skin critters. They kept finding their way onto me. I definitely will be taking some of your advice. Gotta love this forum!  What kind of tick killer do you use, Ub?

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
I go to Ollies, Home Depot, or Wal-Mart and get the Tick and Flea killer that is used to threat carpets and dogs.  The brand that I have out in my vehicle now that works great is RAID Flea Killer... It works on Fleas and Ticks... It's for home use and for spraying on pets...  Actually kills Ticks on contact.. Since it used for pets too it would probably be a bit safer for you instead of shooting quantities of Permethrin into the bag.. I do use Permethrin on my boots and clothes to kill ticks in the outdoors.. You can get a large bottle of Permethrin at Dick's sporting goods in the camping department.. Use this in the warmer months when calling to keep ticks off you...