Author Topic: hog hunting in may  (Read 3269 times)

Offline mountain dog

• PPHA Members
  • Junior Forum Member
hog hunting in may
« on: March 28, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »
What do you think about no hog in the last of may. I  hunt hogs all summer but the last of may is very good. Farmers making hay by then, and the young ones are out. And the pa.game comm. wonders why they are selling less lic. I guess it is because of the deer pop. also. I love to hunt hogs and this just hits me hard.  Sorry guys I just had to get this off my mind.       Hunt safe
Mountain dog

uncle buck

Re: hog hunting in may
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:54:16 AM »
It's a good time to hunt but this year the last two weeks IN May it will not be legal because it Gobbler season..The last  two weeks of Gobbler season you can hunt the entire daylight hours. Unless the PGC issues a news release and allows chuck hunters to hunt in the last two weeks of Gobbler season.. Chuck hunting is closed during all legal hours of the 2011 Spring Gobbler season...The first two weeks in May you can hunt chucks after 12:00 Noon since Gobbler season ends at 12:00 Noon the first two weeks of May...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 01:00:12 AM by uncle buck »

Offline SongDogSilencer

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 02:43:52 PM »
Stupid oversight that I'm willing to bet will be changed by next year.
I'm happy the turkey guys get more time in the woods, but chuck hunters shouldn't be penalized to make it happen.

It's probably how fisherman of other species feel about approved trout waters as well.

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 09:54:47 AM »
BOARD MAKES OTHER CHANGES TO SEASONS

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners today gave final approval to a regulatory change to allow for the hunting of starlings, English sparrows, opossums, skunks, groundhogs and weasels during legal hunting hours of the spring gobbler season. The Game Commission staff noted that this change will increase opportunities for hunters pursuing these species without creating unacceptable conflicts with spring gobbler hunters

This is from the April Commission meeting
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 09:56:12 AM by Lifes2fun »
THIS IS SPARTA!!

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 12:25:36 PM »
This makes my day!!!! Glad to hear the PGC changed it!!!!Does a Newsrelease have to occur that makes it's legal or is just the Final approval by the PGC board seals it..

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 10:37:47 PM »
I found this on the PGC web site... Now anywhere that I went for the hunting season bag limits and time frame it came up as 2011-2012 bag limits and time frame. So it's 2011 so I guess like Lifes2fun info is now correct. You can now hunt woodchuck during the April May 2011 Gobbler season: It no longer says anything about chuck hunting being  closed during the legal shooting hours for Spring Gobbler. Remember when shotgunning for chucks with SHOT...You can't use anything larger then # 4 shot. So if you shoot chucks with # 4 BUCKSHOT you will be breaking the law. of course most of us use center fire rifles for chucks.. However I suppose you could shoot chucks lets say with 20 gauge slugs, or 410 slugs, or 12 gauge sabots.. Just watch what size SHOT you use for chucks..

WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS): No closed season, except on Sundays, and during the antlered and antlerless deer seasons. No limit.