Author Topic: coon bait  (Read 3093 times)

Offline coonreaper

• Junior Forum Member
coon bait
« on: February 25, 2011, 09:35:43 PM »
I've been experimenting with different baits for coons and the two best that i've had luck with is sardines and tuna. I've tried marshmellows also but didn't have much luck with them. my sets are about half duke dogproof sets and half pocket sets. ive had good luck with the dogproof traps but the only problem i see with them is that they usually break the animals wrist and i've caught several huge feet but no coon. I'd appreciate any recemendations with anything that i've asked.

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: coon bait
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »
all dukes have way to strong of springs.  make sure you add a mid chain swivel. tune the trap just like you would any other trap.

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: coon bait
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 06:06:27 AM »
I like to blind set Coon with footholds. Many ways to do it.
Drain tiles, fence rows, pocket sets with no bait, sand bar crossover, bridge walls, ole barns/out buildings and on and on.
I also use baited sets from time to time.
I have good luck with mini marshmellows in cage traps. Place a few marshmellows outside the door, just inside the door and at the rear, past treadle. My trick with cage traps is to dig a depression (with my heal or toe) just under the treadle and place marshmellows there. The main bait is below floor and critter has to work treadle to get bait.
Coon can be caught in so many ways, which makes 'em a blast to work. But don't overlook blind sets. Train yourself 'to see' Coon trails.
Set themthere dry drain tiles, you are driving right over fur, to get to your next location.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:07:32 AM by Hern »