Author Topic: Night Hunting Spots  (Read 2422 times)

Offline jpsflock

Night Hunting Spots
« on: January 19, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
Where do you guys mainly hunt at night ? Do you basicly stick to fields, do you ever hunt in the woods, how about setting up on game lands roads or old logging roads.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Night Hunting Spots
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 10:06:15 PM »
This time of year, I like fields with really brushy edges and nearby thicket,
woods that are close to really thick stuff
and logging roads cutting through the thick stuff

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:24:04 PM »
I like to target areas that you do not have to walk in far..The more you walk in on your first stand...It's over already...Now if you want to make a 2nd stand there and walk in.. It's OK since you already made the first stand.. Sometimes the predators are feeding just right off the road where you park..

I have called in predator on less then 1/2 acre of land up to 300 + acres.  So any type of land 1/2 acre, if you have permission to shoot in the Safety Zones will pull animals from other tracts of surrounding land.. These are the lands that you will have to use the shotgun...

So many of you have seen me post this quote or phrase:  "The Call Is A Tool They Will Come To You!" You don't have to go after them. Especially in farm lands.. Now if you have a honey hole on top of a mountain then your going to have to go to it.. However you don't have to go right into the honey hole.. You can get just where they can hear you and they will come to you..

At night time they are usually hunting so once they hear your call from across a large field they are going to come into investigate..
In the winter when farmers clear cut a field you would not even think of hunting it in the daytime.. However just say there is a wood lot 600 yards on the other side of that field.  Just call across the field to that woodlot they will come to you.  Best to use a rifle then but night time makes them think you can't see them...

I will aim my speaker down fence rows, down tree lines, down farm lanes they will come along those edges to your calling...The way you set up depends on what type of gun your using, Shotgun or rifle..

Game lands are outstanding this time of the year...Park your car in the parking lot and if any trails start right there call them remember however if car traffic travels it  you have to be 25 yards off the road.. Again don't walk 900 yards down the trail.. They will come to you if you call down those trails or roads that go deeper into the fame lands. Place you caller just inside the PGL gate. Aim speaker down the road from the gate.. Shotgunner moves down 50 yards.. hunt the outside bend and you will get shot on PGL now.. Keep the wind  blowing down from the speaker toward the shooter.  Nice to hunt the outside bend because the predator will come down the road and you will see it at the bend as it comes into the wind and the main sound beam from the speaker or the person calling with a mouth call back at the gate..  
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:25:22 PM by uncle buck »

Offline jpsflock

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 06:12:06 PM »
Great info guys thanks alot

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »
find the prey animals and you will find the predators.  no matter if it fields or woods.