Author Topic: Tips on night hunting  (Read 2680 times)

Offline tspade07

Tips on night hunting
« on: January 26, 2011, 10:27:14 AM »
I have called in multiple fox and coyotes in the night time before but all of this season all i have been managed to call in was 2 fox. The weather seems to have been perfect but know luck for a while now. Any advice to what i might be doing wrong?

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Tips on night hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:37:45 AM »
Nothing.  It's the late season blues.  If you called them in before you are doing it right.  A lot of variables this time of year can make things slow down.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »
I agree with lookn4fur...I myself have gone through a long period of time here were nothing is coming in for electronics nor mouth calling.. It's starting to improve however... Get out there now with the new snow.. Also they are mating now... Try a lot  of red fox distress and I'm sure your going to have some call In's of red fox.

Offline tspade07

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »
Okay thanks a lot guys. Also, is anyone having any luck calling in the day time right now?

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 11:05:39 AM »
You have to wear full camo, have a scoped rifle, and use red fox distress IMO when you want to hunt in the daytime from Oct to Feb.
However when the snow comes now the predators will start mousing in the daytime too.  So food sounds will work.. Dennis Kirk all commented on two sounds that worked well in the winter:  The Gray Fox with Rabbit and the Red Fox with Rabbit.. See you get best of both worlds here... Fox distress and food sound.. Hence is felling why it was a good winter call.  Johnny Stewart does sale an excellent red and gray sound with the rabbit.. I know it's on cassette.. It might even be on CD.  If you have a FOXPRO you could jump back and forth from red fox distress sounds to rabbits.. back and forth back and forth...etc etc.. Hope this helps...Also a Preyamster JS caller can play two sounds over each other... You could do the red and gray combo and any food sound on the module can be overlaid.. Remember it doesn't have to be a rabbit with the canine sounds..  I have a Dennis Kirk Gray Fox special which is a gray fox with a chicken distress...  LOL LOL I know now COMBO fox and food will stimulate both the sex drive and the food drive...