Author Topic: Last nights hunt.  (Read 5307 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Last nights hunt.
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:22:24 AM »
Most of my friends that know me away from the boards know I hunt predators at night.  One day at work a friend was telling me a story of some pheasants his son got during the weekend.  He had been walking around the field and seen a red fox.  Well he has a furtakers permit because he had previously been trapping.  He had caught a few critters but a fox wasnt on the list yet.  Well that fox he seen that day didn't wait around too long to get shot.  But two male pheasants had.  He ended up getting one that was colorful and looked great.  Well he is getting the pheasant mounted and wanted to get the fox he seen that day or a fox to get mounted with it.  We have been waiting till we both could get out after the little rascal.  Well last night was the night. 

It was drizzling in the late afternoon and the warmup was welcome.  I arrived at their house around 6pm.  Finding my friend doug, his son thadd, and a friend of thadd's working on a quad.  We got ready and headed out into the field beside their house.  I had known of how I wanted to setup from looking at aerial photos.  We walked a woods line out to a corner.  I set the tripod up and got his .222 settled in the tripod.  I started off with some squeeks on a lil pekker.  After about two minutes of that I switched to a woodpecker sound on the fx5.  After a minute or two of that I started wailing on a open reed from brad gainey.  10 secs of rabbit distress and there was a set of eyes on top the one rise.  I leaned over to thadd so he could see the eyes out there.  At that time they were around 250 yds out.  I let out some softer screams and here he comes.  bouncing down through the field till he gets about 80yds broadside.  I whispered to thadd shoot him.  He whispered back saying he couldnt see him real well.  So I flipped the red lens up on the uniquefire I was holding beside his gun to expose the white light.  As soon as I did that I heard the crack of the gun and the fox bolted.  I said reload and woofed at him.  I got him to stop around 150 yds away and I whispered shoot.  the crack of the .222 echoed across the field and I heard the thump of a bullet finding its mark.  I handed thadd the light and told him go get him. 

He took off through the field like only a 16 year old could.  His dad and I followed as well as a overweight man can(me) and his father could.  He got to the spot and I seen him sweeping the light looking for him.  Then seen he was lighting a area over the hill a little further off to his left.  I hurried the pace a little bit and seen the fox was not dead yet.  I heard thadd say something but couldnt figure out what he said.  The fox jumped and started runnin down the fencerow.  I yelled get another one in him.  Two more shots and he was down.  He was a big male that sadly had a little bit of mange on his tail.  after some congrats we carried him back to the house and got some pictures.

We made two more sets and only called in a coon.  With the tail having mange i offered a red fox up for the chopping block if his taxi can take my tail off the fox I have in the freezer and stick it on his fox.  The mange is bad enough on the tail you can tell he wont be able to cover it up. 

sorry for the bad pic.  Once I get a better one I will post it.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Brushwolf

• PPHA officers.
  • PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Last nights hunt.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
Sounds like a good night Ben.

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 10:19:25 AM »
Thumbs up!!

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 11:26:35 AM »
Great story! Congrats..
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 05:21:01 PM »
Ha Ben you got all the high tech stuff. Nice job

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »
Nice.  Congrats on the call in.  I love calling critters for newbies.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 08:34:53 AM »
Ha Ben you got all the high tech stuff. Nice job

how do you figure high tech?
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 08:51:41 AM »
High tech shooting rest, High tech lights, High tech caller, High tech hand calls, High tech shooting equiptment. All the latest and greatest equiptment. Good job

uncle buck

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 09:48:56 AM »
Great story..Thanks for taking the boy for fox... Probably got another predator hunter hooked!! Keep up the good work..

Offline savage05

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »
Awesome

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
Nice story Ben. Awfully nice of you to offer up the Red.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 07:04:32 PM »
Nice story with a good ending, running down the fox! It does not get any more exciting then that. All cool stuff to remember and the story will always get better each time he gets to talk about his hunt.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »
Great Job Ben.  It beats seeing the kid on the street doing lord only knows.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 08:19:45 AM »
heres a better picture of the three of us. 

L-R

doug, me, and thadd. 

Offline icecube

• Senior Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:19:50 AM »
Congrats Ben, sounds like a great night....ED