Author Topic: Most fun I've had in a while.  (Read 2395 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Most fun I've had in a while.
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:55:23 AM »
Well, I didn't need a kill to make this one of my best hunts ever. I just got back from a night hunt around my house. I set the alarm for one and was gonna chase some fox. The plan was to hit one spot on foot and close to home then hit some spots that I've neglected to hunt in the last two seasons. A fox was barking in a direction that was impossible to get to quietly, so like a turkey hunter I was planning on sneaking up on top to call him up. As soon as my foot hit leaves the barking stopped. I pushed on anyways in an attempt to catch him as planned. I get to the spot and set the caller beside me. NOTHING! I took advantage of the lack of sightings to try some new sounds that I haven't this year. I played Lightning Jack and heard either a small group of coyotes or a ecaller in a pasture that I've heard callers in before. I did a challenge howl back, just in case. No response! I decided to pack it up and head back through the field I just came from. I hit the back stabber a couple times and heard a fox barking in a field over 500 yards away. I tried calling it with distress sounds but nothing would move him. I started to play the beginning parts of the JS Grey/red fox fight (just the barking) and soon he was on his way. He passed down over the hill and never stopped. I went back to the spot I came from cause now he was over that way but he never came. He just barked. So, I headed back again and would stop ever once in a while and listen and call with that sound. Finally I got to the old logging road that was near where he went through when I called him earlier and he was coming again. When I would bark he would come closer and bark at me. No w was the moment of truth ,He was coming and close I have my 22mag and this will have to be a quick shot. I hit the knob to bark again, and it never goes off. He is walking right beside me in a timbered out vein of woods. The bark would have brought him out on the road but the call didn't work. All I can do is let his pass and listed to him breathing as he left. I stayed put and turned around and after some more calling, he stared to come back. This went on for over 4 hours. I would call he would come through, I would move and he would go to the spot I just came from. Finally I had to go home cause my wife was leaving for work and my son would have been alone. Venus was out, I seen 3 shooting stars and had a great adventure hunting this guy.
FayetteNam

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: Most fun I've had in a while.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:29:25 AM »
Sounds like a good time. It's always good to get out in the woods.
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 01:19:12 PM »
It was the best. I have more to the story but when you write to much the page starts to jump and it's hard to keep track of what your writing. It was a pain with the caller because the Johnny Stewart Red Grey fox fight has 2 barks 2 growls? then a real nice bark before it starts the fighting sequence. He was only responding to the barks and you not commit to the fighting parts so I had to push the knob play with the mute to mix the timing of the barks up then hit the know again to reselect the same sound so it would start over. It was fun. Especially when he was so close I could hear it panting. I would have had him had I brought the 12 ga but, you never know how far the shot will be. I will try again soon because I know he never seen me. Heck, He was still barking an hour after I left the woods. I wish I would have had someone else to share this hunt with. It was like hunting a spring gobbler.
FayetteNam

Offline zekedogg

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
looking forward to the story of round 2
Rick Comport

Pennsylvania Predator Hunters Association

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 10:36:32 PM »