Author Topic: The slump...  (Read 4152 times)

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
The slump...
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:04:51 AM »
 I am picking up where I left off last year. I had a horrible year of hunting last season and this season started off good with fox coming to the call but I am right back in a slump. I educated the one fox that would come and has come 3 different times and I have yet to see a coon this fur season, just alot of opossum. I hit some different stands this season seen nothing or just heard running in the woods but they would never commit to leaving the hillside. Anyone else having a season like this or is it just my area? I have been manipulation my calling from long to short sequences, mouth calls to ecallers, different volumes, day and night. What else is there?
The only thing I haven't tried was right before daylight stands.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 09:05:36 AM by predator77 »
FayetteNam

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: The slump...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »
Not having that issue.  Sounds like you got some pressured critters.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline edhunts5

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:49:00 PM »
having the same issues.  Talked to the different land owners seem to be fur there when I'm not. All different times of the day?  To my knowledge and the landowners I'm the only one hunting them.  So I dont know about the pressure theory. The one fox i did get was at 545 am already in the field when I got there

Offline Grass Stain

• PPHA Members
  • Senior Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 04:03:35 PM »
No luck here either
 Was out last weekend for the hunt and not a sound . Been checking the trapline every morning and all ive gotten so far are 3 coon and 1 possum. Not being very productive yet.
 We need snow to start flying. :D
"Live Life for what tomorrow has to offer,Not for what yesterday has taken away!"

D.Sapko
District 6

uncle buck

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
Ian try this.....Start of with a Quakerboy bulb squeaker.. Squeak it constant for 15 minutes.. Place it along your pant leg for about 3 minutes then into your pocket and keep squeaking... If that fails go to mouth calls... If your using electronics they do call predators but not like mouth and hand calls when the slumps occur... also if your using electronics...Quit at about the 20 minute mark.. Then do the last 10 minutes of bulb squeaking like I told you.  electronics will work some nights when they are really moving... However when things get tough go to the bulb squeakers and then the mouth call...Mouthcall...Rabbit and or bird distress sounds..... 

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 05:32:26 PM »
usually when i go through a tough period it is because of me being impatient.  Either getting careless with approaching a setup or rushing my call sequence.  to slow myself down i put some preset calls on the fury and it controls the time and the volumes when i hit one button. 

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 08:21:40 PM »
Thanks guys. I hope this works. I'll have to go get a bulb squeaker.
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »
Keep alternating the bulb squeaker a few minutes along you pant leg a few minutes in your pocket, a few minutes along your pant leg, back into the pocket etc etc etc...

Ian maybe we can hunt sometime.

Offline stickbow

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:41:42 AM »
Unless you hunt the Nortwest part of PA your not going to call many fox. There just is not many in SWPA. Any type of distress call means a coyote has something and the fox will be next.

Opening day for some of the more high-profile furbearers — bobcats, beavers and fishers — is still more than a month away. But the season for rank-and-file, meat-and-potatoes species such as raccoons, foxes, skunks and opossums is open now and mink and muskrats become fair game in two weeks.

So what can trappers and furbearer hunters expect?

There's some variability, of course. But furbearer populations overall are generally good, according to Pennsylvania Game Commission conservation officers, land managers and foresters.

Here is how they rate the outlook for some species:

Raccoons

Despite being the most-commonly targeted furbearer in the woods, raccoon populations are as high as ever, it seems.

"Every time I set a bear trap, I catch raccoons, so it shouldn't be hard to trap several of them if you have the time," said Seth Mesoras, a wildlife conservation officer in northern Westmoreland County.

Randy Pilarcik, conservation officer in southern Butler County, spoke for most officers when he said raccoon populations in his area are "excellent."

Somerset County conservation officer Travis Anderson suggests looking for them in specific places.

"Raccoons especially have a good population around agricultural areas, and that is where trappers should target these animals," he said.

Muskrats

Muskrats are another story, however. Still, the second-most frequently trapped furbearer in the state, their numbers are thought to be down and this year promises much of the same: tougher trapping than in decades past.

Pat Snickles, wildlife conservation officer in northern Indiana County, said muskrats can only be found in the choicest habitats. Westmoreland County officer Stephen Leiendecker, too, said muskrats are the only furbearer whose numbers seem to be in decline, while in southern Washington County, officer Richard Joyce said he's had not a single muskrat complaint from landowners all year.

The one exception might be Allegheny County, where officer Gary Fujak said muskrats remain plentiful.

Foxes

Fox populations — like those for skunks and opossums — are good in northern Allegheny County, said conservation officer Dan Pahula. They are also plentiful on the eastern edge of the county, said conservation officer Beth Fife.

"Foxes have been reported several times, so I would say they are also doing pretty good," she said.

"Foxes, both red and gray, are maintaining their population numbers, but I would rate the chances of taking large numbers of these animals as fair as they take a high skill level as a trapper," added Greene County conservation officer Rod Burns.

In Cambria County, though, fox numbers seem down, perhaps due to competition from coyotes, said conservation officer Shawn Harshaw.

Coyotes

Speaking of coyotes, they are seemingly nowhere in short supply.

Game Commission forester Andrew Hetrick said "coyote sign continues to be abundant" in his area of Somerset County, while Dan Yahner, a land management group supervisor for the commission in Fayette and Somerset counties, labeled coyotes "ever-present." Fayette County conservation officer Jason Farabaugh said state game land 51 in particular holds a good number of the animals.

Hunters can get some real insight into where to hunt by talking to landowners, added Washington County conservation officer Dan Sitler.

"Those seeking coyotes should talk with farmers," he said. "They often are in need of coyote hunters and trappers and will offer the best insight into their local area.
-----------------------------------
By the numbers
The furbearer harvest in Pennsylvania in 2008, the latest year for which statistics are available, looks like this:

Raccoons: 142,808

Muskrats: 74,059

Coyotes: 23,699

Red fox: 44,745

Gray fox: 20,845

Mink: 8,632

Skunks: 12,331

Opossums: 54,273

Source: Pennsylvania Game Commission

Offline edhunts5

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
went out last night right at dark I left the e-caller in the car.  Started every stand with bulb squeeker and swithched to rabbit in distress mouth call.  No fur but quite a few bucks chasing does 2 where "rackers"

uncle buck

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 04:38:46 PM »
Would be interesting to hear of some of the SLUMP peoples MO's.  You know how many people hunt with them?  How far do they walk in? Do they play their or make the mouth calls sound to loud?  Do they think about just where to walk in to get the best advantage? How do they hold their light when they scan.
I am breaking in a new hunter and I just can't believe that he does not see the eyes when I call...I have seen fox and even a coyote.  Sometimes it even gets me upset because I could have shot the coyote but he was in line with me. However the coyote hung around a bit too and he could have gotten off a shot...Now problem is he did not even see it at all.
Just the other early morning (Um about 1:00 AM) I was calling...Mouth calling with a R & R wooden open reed call... I hear a grunt behind me.. I'm looking down wind...Grunt I said to myself Grunt? Am I going to be gored by a buck that snuck up on me..I turn it's a gray fox...Not more then 10 yards behind me..He snuck from the upwind side to my back...I try to line him up in my scope..."Wish I had the shotgun"  But that time he was gone...I keep calling and watching the down wind side..2 minutes later Here comes in a fox. Don't you just hate when they are running at your real fast..When you hit them with the shooting light and look through the scope..It looks like they are bouncing from left to right.  I took a quick shot and I missed at 25 yards...(I should have taken my time) Times like that you think your in rifle country and it turns out both shots would have been quick and simple with a shotgun.. However my point here...If the fox did not  grunt at me...I never would have known that it came from the up wind side to my calling... So.....there are going to be hunters that just can't see the incoming fox..If you want to see eyes better put a hood on your head light or even the light on your broom handle..It helps you spot the in comings better...Truly hoods...Yes they do hide you..Could be you guys are not using hoods on your lights..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 04:40:35 PM by uncle buck »

Offline beastman

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »
Well I'm always looking for some help,
Here's my mo
I use a "nite lite" headlamp for scanning, generally turned way down.  Saturday I broke my rule cause the moon was high overhead and very bright.  That may or may not have been the wrong thing to do.
I have my gun mounted lights for shooting
I'm guilty of not doing enough scouting at least until there's snow on the ground and I'm aware that you can't call them if they're not there.  My usual approach is call areas where I've saw or heard fox/coyotes and a few places where historically have been productive.  I don't like to try places that are near houses or where there is any chance of shooting someones cow.  If anyone has a set up for a wide open field that's square or rectangular anywhere 2-20 acres I'd love to hear what it is cause I've got a couple places I pass up.
I try to follow some of the golden rules like not getting skylined and not slamming car doors.  I watch the wind and I try not to call them towards the road, I read somewhere one time that's bad.
I rarely use mouth calls cause I haven't had any success so tend to slide back to the spitfire.  I tend to stick with the rabbit sounds but I've been trying to use some gray fox pup sounds.  There haven't been many gray's around this part of the country the last decade but I like to give it a try.
Also I don't think I have any compet ion around here, I haven't saw a single person or even heard of anyone else calling around me.  I know there is some people running coyotes with dogs but I don't think they do it til there's snow.
Any tips or suggestions are welcome.

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 01:59:08 PM »
OK.....I can give you some advice that may help you....When hunting the 2 acre areas use a shotgun.  Put the electronic caller in front of you then maybe 40 yards out...See the predators will go to the sound source and not you..You will be unnoticed and you can get a shot.. If need be instead of sitting behind the caller sit somewhat cross wind to the main beam..Make sure the speaker is facing down wind in small areas like this.. This makes the predator go right to the speaker into the wind... Small areas you don't want them trying to circle you..

Large areas  place the speaker behind you now...Move down 75-100 yards and set up cross wind of the main beam.   On days that there are hardly any wind at all...Post closer to the speaker.. See you don't know which way they are going to come in.But...They will always get in direct line with the main sound beam of the speaker.. So hence why you want to be closer to the speaker when wind is shifting or hardly no wind at all and you can't tell which direction it's coming from..

During warm spells....There are plenty of fieldmice around ...Just say where it only drops down to about 42 at night..So your going to have a harder time to call in critters... Once the cold comes and the snow you will see...Any sound you use will call in fox.  Don't play prey sounds to loud... Fieldmice should be a bit louder then the real thing but not loud..  Play the rabbit for 5 minutes then go to the woodpecker for 5 minutes , then go to someother food sound... After 15 minutes start to go to canine distress sounds... Red Fox and as a last resort...the last 10 minutes the gray fox pup sound..

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:06:40 PM by uncle buck »

uncle buck

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »
Slumps could be because of all the warm weather too....42 degrees at night time is warm...The critters have plenty of fieldmice to eat and are just not as responsive.  Once the cold weather and snow comes you will see how they will come to the sounds much better then when this early warm spell  changes.
I say this:  I was out hunting from 8:00 PM to  12:00 PM last night... I did not call in anything.  However from 10:00 PM to 12:00AM.  I got busted by a fox when I was taking my equipment out of the car..As I drove into the lane to a farm...I saw what appeared to be a coon eating things off the ground right in the farmers yard.. I'm taking out my shooting styk and all of a sudden....I hear that dreaded sound of a red fox barking at me...It was not a coon I saw in the farmers backyard..It was a red fox...Of course for safety sake I could not hit the fox with the light and shoot the fox right next to the farmers house... I tried to sneak around the house with hopes that I could shoot it beyond the farmers house.. Many do allow me to shoot in the safety zone but this fox was just to close to the house... I circled the property with hopes for a shot but Reynard was gone....But it learned something...Could be they are not eating meat...They could be eathing dropped fruit on the ground.. Pears, apples, etc etc...So if you know or have land with a lot of fruit trees on it.. you could sneak in and use a bulb squeaker and this is what might be happening now..they are eating vegetation and fruits not large prey animals..  Also when I was going from Point A to Point B to other farms I saw two different red fox just feeding along the corn and the main roads... Looks like they were mousing....So....on warm warm warm early seasons night maybe your best bet it to go totally fieldmouse for food sounds and keep in the back of your mind places that have fruit trees with now dropped fruit..  Also remember there are all kinds of hunters out there now. Critters are being pushed in the daytime by deer hunters, small game hunters too. this also makes them  call shy.
DANG  !!!!Head to Adams County and get permission on some of the orchards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 03:15:21 PM by uncle buck »