Author Topic: Super Fox!  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
Super Fox!
« on: November 11, 2010, 08:34:13 AM »
Before I tell you my story let me explain to everyone that DJ and I have all the respect in the world for the animals we pursue.  I always dispatch them as humanely and quickly as possible if need be and this situation although we joke about it, was also disturbing and we vowed to not let it happen again.

My predator hunts are always filled with excitement and stupidity usually on my behalf.  I am either falling, forgetting ammunition, lights, batteries, running out of gas and so on.  Last night it was my hunting partner critterslayer (DJ), Mr. D2.  I told him he could tell the story but after second thought he wouldn't do it any justice (sorry DJ). 

It started off on our first set of the night.  We didn't get 20 feet away from the vehicle and DJ lost the back of his light in the corn fodder in the middle of the field.  After a minute or two of scrambling around looking for it, we discovered that he was dragging it around by the cord the whole time. ;D

After two uneventful and loud sets we approached the third set.  As soon as we got out of the car we heard some type of critter screaming and growling.  I explain to DJ the direction we are heading and where we were going to sit, when I catch a set of eyes where i was pointing.  After Identifying it as SUPER FOX!  I started to work him in to about thirty yards.  DJ was the trigger man which was a good thing because I later missed an easy shot at a Fox.  Well DJ shot and SUPER FOX! dropped right there.  It was then that SUPER FOX! decided to try and get up.  I said LETS GO, he is getting up.  We ran to the Fox and DJ proceeded to dispatch SUPER FOX! without shooting it.  After we were sure the Fox had expired, DJ went to lift his trophy up in the air to brag a little and SUPER FOX! bit him on the hand.  After some choice words and a little ribbing from me, we both decided to exact some revenge and dispatch the fox again without firing a shot.  This is when SUPER FOX! decided he was going to bite me in the shoe and not let go.  Its is then that I discover another set of eyes watching us as we hoop and holler like a bunch of high school cheerleaders.  I started to work the set of eyes but we never could identify our target after several minutes and decided to hunt the set as previously discussed.  The set produced nothing and we decided to collect SUPER FOX! and take DJ's prize back to the vehicle.  As DJ bends over to pick SUPER FOX! up, he grabs him by the ear and barely escaped yet another bite on the hand.  DJ decides to dispatch the animal by not shooting it, after all he wanted to save the hide.  Since DJ was a little gun shy, I being the brave one in the bunch, carried SUPER FOX! back to the vehicle.  Once back to the vehicle we discover that SUPER FOX is trying to bite us yet again.  DJ decides to take care of the issue once and for 4ll by dispatching the animal for good by NOT SHOOTING SUPER FOX!  We then load the vehicle up and head off to the next set.  We put five more sets in and decided to call it a night as it was 12:30 am and we both had to work the next day.  That's when we discovered SUPER FOX! clawing his way out of the vehicle (slight exaggeration).  This time, I in all my infinite wisdom decide to SHOOT SUPER FOX! at point blank range with the 22 hornet in the head (BIG NO NO).

After some well camouflaged pictures I proceeded to strip and split the tail for DJ as that was the only physical thing left to remember SUPER FOX!  All I can say is LESSON WELL LEARNED!!!! You can view a picture of SUPER FOX! in the D4 hunt section under critterslayer.  I am campaining DJ to change his forum name to SUPER FOX!  Please join me in my quest.  Thanks for the memories SUPER FOX!
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: Super Fox!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:10 AM »
Hahahahaha! That is a great story. I can picture being there. ;D
FayetteNam

uncle buck

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 11:03:17 AM »
I hope Critterslayer went and got a rabies shot at Harrisburg Hospital... They give them there if you get bit by a fox or are exposed. Sounds bad if you have to take a rabies shots Pre and Post exposure.. However it's kind of good since your now protected for the future should it happen again.  One might say? "Well DJ got bit because he did pick up a live fox... See....Rabies does affect either or two areas of a critter... The Spine and or the brain..Could be if the fox brain was affected with the virus that could have given him all that extra chemical stuff to make him Super Fox. If it the Spine they can't walk right and fall down... If it's the brain that is when they are aggressive...Anyway just getting bit he does need a tetanus shot and the Pre and Post rabies exposure shots too.. He will have to go back for abut 2 months for the preventative shots every 10Th day too... So it's a trip to the Harrisburg Hospital emergency room every 10 days there after...

It did sound like an exciting hunt. Um Tim you might want to get the shots to since you may also have come in contacted with the body fluids of Super Fox.  I have known entire families having to take shots because of a possibility they could be infected.  See this kind of happen to me once and I was not even bit.. They wanted to know if I still had the fox.. So they may ask if you still have the carcass?

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 11:23:22 AM »
Thanks for telling everyone about my light issue on the first stand haha...this all occured after I hit the fox with a .223, 62gr'er through the shoulder blade area and I forgot the 22 pistol, or he woulda been done right away...I stepped on his neck and kneeled on the chest of that critter for a few mins, and there was no life left in him...I grabbed his ear because I was looking for a entry hole, and that is when Super Fox had his first life come back...funny thing was we're in between sets later that night and I said you know when we get back to the truck that fox has probably come back to life again, after "being put down" at least 4 times now, by usually very successful tactics...and is terrorizing the interior of your car...we had a laugh...until the back door of his suv went up, and we caught SUPERFOX! moving...
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »
I forgot that when the fox came bouncing in, Tim is whispering shoot as fast as you can...and i'm waving around...I said i've got to put the harris bipod down and shoot off that i'm waving too much...when I kneeled down and slowly opened the bipod, I figured he's gone....I looked up over the crest of the hill and I could see his body, back down through the scope only his ears...so I had to pick the gun up, sit back on my heels and take the shot...that whole time i'm doing all of this, Tim had his predator light on him with no red filter, and it didnt' effect that fox one bit from 30 yards away...it may not happen like that all the time, but that was my first experience with the predator light and it didn't spook that fox
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 11:36:56 AM »
I agree with UB. Get the shots. Even if you were not bitten, any body fluid could have come in contact with may have infected you threw any open area. Eyes, ears,nose, mouth, cuts, or scrapes. If not treated, rabies is always 100% fatal. It only takes a microscopic amount to enter your system. Yes, go back and find the carcass. Including whats left of the head. Keep the fox at refrigerator temperature until you get it to the lab. The fox should be put into a water tight container like a plastic bag with a tight twist tie and then put into a larger bag with some freezer containers that will not leak. ASAP, take it to:

Pa Dept of Agriculture, Pa Veterinary Lab
2305 N Cameron St
Harrisburg Pa, 17110
717-787-8808

If you can't get there quickly, the PGC in your area may pick it up and deliver it for you. Also, wear rubber gloves when handling this animal. It sounds like it is sick.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 11:41:00 AM by muttbuster »
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 12:06:41 PM »
Um.....the affect of the virus on the brain of the fox?... Could be why it did not take off when you guys hit it with the white light at 30 yards..
Better Safe then Sorry... Besides once you get all those shots you will be safe from rabies for a long long long long time..Now that is a good thing.

One of the symptoms of rabies is a Tingling sensation near the bite area or wound.. This may happen about the 10 day... Just keep that in the back of your mind too... I'm sure your health insurance will cover most of the cost for the shots too... Mine covered quite a bit of it....

Besides after you get the shots you can hug all the young foxes that you want!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 12:16:09 PM by uncle buck »

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:22 PM »
Next time find a rock or a heavy stick to whack it over the head.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline bootmud

• Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 02:28:21 PM »
LOL....  That's a good story right there!  I was surprised when I read that the fox bit DJ, I wasn't expecting that. ;D

DJ, if you start growing alot of xtra body hair, and you feel like howling on full moon lit nights you might want to check out those rabies shots. :D :D

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 03:43:01 PM »
Swarter, the rock method was performed once.  You wouldn't believe what the methods we tried.

As an update we are turning the fox in to the department of AG tomorrow.  DJ is going to get some shots and I am hanging out until we get some results back per my doctors advise.
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 04:28:14 PM »
 ;DLOL!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 06:32:03 PM »
Thank you Tim, I'm glad you guys are doing what you're with the Doc and the shots. I hope the fox is negative.
President PPHA

uncle buck

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 06:54:49 PM »
Swarter, the rock method was performed once.  You wouldn't believe what the methods we tried.

As an update we are turning the fox in to the department of AG tomorrow.  DJ is going to get some shots and I am hanging out until we get some results back per my doctors advise.

Now there are two smart predator callers.. That makes my day that your doing this...

Offline Buckwheat

• PPHA Forum GURU
    • http://EWCALLS.com
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 07:43:30 PM »
You guys are doing the right thing. I hope the brain is in good enough shape to test after the shot to the head.
For a brief moment I could hear nature through all the noise.

2008 PPHA State Predator Calling Champion
 Tri-X-Stand Rifle
Rests http://www.ewcalls.com/
Stand in the open, We will make you shine!

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 01:15:55 AM »
That thing was completely motionless...no breathing...no twitches...dead...As soon as I grabbed an ear, it was like something from a horror film...It may sound as if it was a stupid move to touch the fox, but you can ask Tim, there was no thought that it had anything left...add in the visual hole from the .223 and the spliting of the hole after kneeling on it, and the last thing on my mind was to worry about resurection

btw...I went to the er tonight after work, and they weren't too worried about me having it with just the small scratch that I had, but we decided to go ahead with it just in case and for future encouters. With my experience, I don't mind needles but if you don't like needles, wear gloves when picking up foxes that you've kneeled on, wacked with sticks, used the rock technique...ect...because if its got some super fox genes, bet your bottom dollar you're gettin 9 injections...14 ml's of thick as syrup junk into your bite area...and then one in each shoulder...and one in each cheek...and not the cheeks on your face...and yes now I can hug as many foxes, if that was something i'd like to do, thanks uncle buck! haha
              "CritterDone"