Author Topic: HB 881  (Read 3910 times)

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
HB 881
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:16:40 AM »
HB 881 will allow the use of leashed blood-tracking dogs to help recover wounded big game animals.  Nearly 30 states in the East and Midwest have helped reduce the rate that wounded animals are not located by allowing the use of leashed tracking dogs.  Trained dogs can be extremely effective at locating wounded or dead game, and since they are leashed they do not harass other wildlife. 
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline jeremybrua

• Seasoned Forum Member
  • i can can do it because i dont know that i cant.
Re: HB 881
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
That would be great.  It would also be a good money maker if you had a dog.

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 08:05:57 PM »
I cannot count the number of times I have called to PGC to get permission to use a dog to track wounded/dead deer.  This will be a huge mile stone.  It does not take much to train a tracking dog.  If you have the right breed.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 03:37:05 PM »
Sounds great to me...lost a really nice 7 pt (21 in spread) once due to a night of hard rain after a liver shot. The brute was 7 yards and I was 30+ ft up a tree. Hit him in the liver and I think one lung. Till I found him the meat was spoiled. Had I a dog or known someone that did I could of retrieved the buck that night. One of you guys need to train a dog...sooner or later I will probably give you business.

Offline Lifes2fun

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 06:21:40 PM »
Sounds great to me...lost a really nice 7 pt (21 in spread) once due to a night of hard rain after a liver shot. The brute was 7 yards and I was 30+ ft up a tree. Hit him in the liver and I think one lung. Till I found him the meat was spoiled. Had I a dog or known someone that did I could of retrieved the buck that night. One of you guys need to train a dog...sooner or later I will probably give you business.

Although there are valid reasons for this being a good bill, this isn't one of them.
If you had very hard rains, it would have been very difficult for a dog to find as well as scent washes away.
I have called in K9 for a couple of times for balistics tracking and recent rains was the reason for not being able to get a positive search.
Everyone makes mistakes or flinches, but I do question the motives, if the thought is "Now I can take that shot, if I mess up, I'll just get a dog to track it" 
One thing I like to hear at HTE courses is practice, practice, practice as nothing beats proficiency
It is almost as bad as someone saying make Flo Orange required for everything, then we won't have to identify our target...just doesnt make sense
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Offline coyotenightmare

• PPHA Members
  • Seasoned Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:41:28 PM »
I wouldn't recommend taking a risky shot ever, its just that reality is there will be times when you make a marginal shot. Due to buck fever, jumping the string, hitting a twig, etc etc etc...Being able to then use a dog to aid in tracking would be great. Since I simple love to hunt mature bucks, I would be willing to pay a good price to have someone help me find 'my' buck if the need ever arose. Have been keeping tabs on a buck that will be 6.5 years old this fall if he doesn't get hit on the road. Can't wait till archery season....

Offline takemrarely

• Junior Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 06:54:37 AM »
If you have the right breed.

I take it a pair of "Couch Potato Labs" are not what you are talking about here.....