Author Topic: Woodchuck tactics revisited  (Read 2581 times)

uncle buck

Woodchuck tactics revisited
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:50 PM »
I like to get up high and shoot down into a level field below me... Can see the chucks a bit better...

I have purchased some of those small flags on a wire that you get at Home Depot or Lowes.  They do come in orange so you can stick them in The ground right by all the chuck holes before you get to set up on higher ground.. Helps chuck hunters keep track of known potential holes in the field below...When your done hunting you go down and pull the flags.. Normally you go down for a look at the 999 woodchucks that you just killed anyway..

Ah just after a shower or light rain in the evening...Chucks like to come out of their holes.. don't know if they like the wet vegetation or maybe their holes might be filled up a bit from water... What ever the reason they are out and moving.

Best to push the chuck down one of the holes after harvesting too...You do not want that carcass to get baled up in the farmers hay and taken into the barn...Most times you just made supper easy for a red fox and or a Turkey Vulture.  However sure don't want that in the cut hay and put in the barn for the cattle thats for sure.. 

Offline 07fatty

Re: Woodchuck tactics revisited
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:05:54 PM »
If they aren't too close to the farmers house,(smell), throw them in the hedge row.The critters will enjoy the meal and they won't be in the bails.Seldom do the critters drag them back out into the field to eat them.

Offline Seeking_Coyotes

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 01:38:04 PM »
I'm all stalking in my neck of the state but I really like that flag idea.

uncle buck

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:15:35 PM »
I'm all stalking in my neck of the state but I really like that flag idea.

Yep thats a good thing to do..However as you stalk and you see holes place the flag there. Then come back and rest awhile as you wait for one to pop up where the now construction flag is now placed.

Stalking.....Yep now I have done that with a hand gun,  22 WMR, and or a shotgun...Good way to get some snap shooting with your scattergun for the upcoming fox season..Um chucks...are strong critters...You will have to use #4 shot and not # 4 Buckshot..Thats just the law.  Might be better use the buffered shot turkey loads so they hit real hard....

The grass fields were a bit high where I lasted hunted.  To compensate I climbed up on one of the bales of hay.  Lucky that it was laying on it's side.  This gave me a shooting platform.