Author Topic: fishin pics  (Read 8525 times)

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
Re: fishin pics
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
That's what they are Ben. My buddy said he lost a lot of fish while learning how to use then but he has them figured out now and he likes them. I just use regular hooks and they work well for me.
President PPHA

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 11:55:05 AM »
well I might have been using too small of hooks.  I had some 2/0 circles from bass pro I was using but it looks like those that are using the kahle and circle hooks are using 4/0 or bigger.  most are using 7/0 or 8/0.  I might grab some 5/0 kahles next time I am down at bass pro. 

what is the fellas screename on catfish1 that you fish with? 

here is another link I have been reading on lately also.
http://www.learntocatchcatfish.com/
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 12:05:15 PM »
I'm not sure Ben, I'll have to ask him. After listening to me talk about all the fun we have predator hunting, he has visited our site. He wants to get into the sport. I told him the first time he has eyes coming his way at one am, he'll be hooked. Yesterday he bought a 17hmr for local hunting.
President PPHA

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 01:38:10 AM »
one more to add.  28in 10lb channel I caught tonight. 

“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline Critterslayer51

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
    • Middletown Anglers and Hunters Association
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 02:34:37 AM »
Man that looks a lot better than the text you sent me...My final numbers on the night were 10 fish, only 1 under 25 inches...top fish was a 31-32 flathead...if the paper is up to date that would be 3rd place in the big fish tournament...but, it will get beat...just figure I better get in now...i'm pretty confident in gettin hooked up with a 40+ incher this season yet...only caught 3 of those fish on worms...other 7 were all on creek chubs...4-5 inches...big fish took a 6 inch chub, which was the only one over 5 inches I had in the bucket. No channels tonight tho, which to me is always a disapointment, they're beautiful fish
District 2 ...Dauphin County...~PA Fish and Boat Commission, Huntsdale State Fish Hatchery~ Trappers District 11
              "CritterDone"

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 06:07:45 AM »
yeah the text it was hard to get a good pic of.  I knew it was fat when I pulled him up outta the water.  I caught three total but was done fishing at 11.  there were a dozen others there and no one else caught anything.  if I would have hooked up with all the ones I got hits on I woulda had a better night. 

Offline Leglifter

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 07:06:22 AM »
Nice ben!!!

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 07:22:38 AM »
HA Ben, what the heck is that? I been trying to catch one of those in three trips. LOL

uncle buck

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 08:55:30 PM »
Nice looking Channel Ben..

Pa Angler magazine new issue has an article on Flathead cat fish..They say to use Sunfish or Bluegills however they say that small bullheads are good bait for them... 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 10:38:50 PM »
HA Ben, what the heck is that? I been trying to catch one of those in three trips. LOL

come on down earl. 

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 11:04:21 AM »
another round of channels from friday night.

Offline muttbuster

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
Nice catch Ben.
President PPHA

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »
actually I was doing more rigging, baiting, and netting then fishing/catching.  most of those was a friend of my fathers and my fathers catch.  I had fun "guiding" friday night but was still happy eventhough I didn't get as much catching in as they did.  it was a good time and a successful night. 

Offline Lookn4Fur

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
Ben, do you think you could help my boys out when we go camping?  I know nothing about catfish.  What should I buy ahead of time?
"Predators are either active & feeding, semi-active & callable, or utterly inactive & then practically speaking, no call is needed; we're just taking our guns for a walk. We can & should get used to it, & follow their leed cuz they just ain't eager nor apt to follow our’s any time soon!

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:56 AM »
yeah I can help em out.  it really isnt hard at all.  but it sure is a good way to spend an afternoon and night. 

hooks anything from a size 2 to a 4/0.  2/0 bait holder is a good versatile hook.  there are several different types.  circles, kahles, and baitholders along with treble hooks.  depends on what your using for bait.  if your using liver treble hooks seem to keep it on use size 6 trebles.  but I have been using this with a fiber bait that I buy on the net.  the kahles are a good compromise between a circle and a j hook.  the kahles will hook them selfs if they run with it or you can set the hook if you like.  they have a nice wide gap for using live bait such as sunnies or chubs.  the circle hooks I have been trying to like but only like them when the bite is extremely agressive.  with those you let the fish hook themselfs.  they run with it and in turn you just start to reel.

on a side note if I was to buy one hook it would be a 2/0-4/0 baitholder. JMO it works with worms, chubs, cut bait, minnows, livers, pretty much everything.  you can pick up some 2/0 bass pro brand baitholders reletively cheap.  I think 5 bux for a 50 pack.

sinkers.  1oz is sufficent  I use whatever I have at the moment.  either bank sinkers or egg sinkers.  I plan on getting a mold so I can do my own.  buyin em at bass pro at 3.50 a pop for 8 of em is rough.

3 way swivels.  pretty self explainatory. 

bait.  if you have a minnow trap chubs are easy to catch and seem to work well.  sunnies work well in the river atleast.  if ya want cut em in half and use both halfs.  we were doing just as good on live bait as we were on cut bait.  the dip baits and punch baits in stores I am not sure of.  it took alot of internet research till I settled on buying one bait and it paid off on friday night.  but will it allways work?  not sure I have only used it twice.  once in a pond and once on the river.  both times it worked but ya need to hold the rod and as soon as you feel the tap set the hook.  if you wait they allready are gone and knocked the stuff off your hook.  with live bait they normally take it and hold it in their mouths for a bit.  I know one thing I like about the manufactured bait I used friday night is it really doesnt stink like rotten fish or guts but rather smells like fermented grain.  so far it works and if ya get it on ya which you will it wont make ya vomit. 

that weekend I will probably have a bunch of different bait but it seems this is what I have used the most.  chubs, punch bait, sunnies(either cut up or live) , worms(allmost allways works.)