Author Topic: Do you need a camera watching the camera watching the camera?  (Read 2622 times)

uncle buck

Sportsperson that did this I doubt it?  Just heard today that someone stole someones trailcam.  Also hear this often too about trailcams and treestands too.... Gone Gone Gone Gone from the tree it was on.....
What does a person have to do? Have a additional trailcam aimed at another trailcam or a trailcam aimed at your treestand?

I often come upon commercial treestands in trees when I am hunting...I say to myself?  "Oh someones tree stand?" then continue my outdoor thing...

What I am concerned about is this...Kids....They play in woodlots all the time...Nothing bad about that... However what happens is this.  People start to lose treestands and trailcams..They get upset and then they say to themselves?  "This will never happen again!" So up goes the treestand and up goes th trailcam.  However those kids that like to play in the woods...See the tree stand in the tree...they climb up into it..Now the victim...They get so mad that they got ripped off by someone that they bobby trap the trailcam or the treestand... Innocent kid comes along climbs the tree stand and they get hurt....See this is what can happen to victims of things like this...Lose a camera or treestand because of some jerk and then they bobby trap it some poor kid playing in the woods can get hurt because of people stealing camera and treestands..

Just kind of reflecting what can happen to some poor soul when they lose a camera or treestand and also how the so called Ping Pong Effect can hurt some poor soul just playing in the woods...

uncle buck

Re: Do you need a camera watching the camera watching the camera?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:21:43 PM »
Might be good to tell your kids if they play in the woods to never touch another person trailcam or climb up in anyones tree stand. This stuff is starting to reach epidemic proportion and it's just a matter of time before you see things in the news media.  Some funny because someone doing the stealing has it backfire on them...Sadly some poor soul that just happens to come along could get hurt by some protecting their property...

Also people that steal trailcams and treestands... Um they best watch out that they are not bobby trapped by the person who put it there...
would be so neat to read something in a paper that someone was caught stealing a trailcam and got caught redhanded  by being on another hidden trailcam aimed at the one that was stolen...

Offline swarter2

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 08:19:49 PM »
I ha a tree stand destroyed by some idiot last fall.  Another guy on the same farm had his stand stolen.  Most likely done by the same guy/kid.
David P Swarter
286 Parkview Drive
Souderton, Pa 18964
Cell (215)285-1820
e-mail - swarter32@verizon.net
District 2
Bees Obrien Game Calls Field Staff

Offline scott

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 06:59:23 AM »
i had one stolen many years ago on a peice of property we owned.  i would never leave a stand up on public land but i do see some that do.  i was upset when someone stole my stand and immediatley thought about a booby trap but thought better of it.  if someone takes your stand it can ruin a day of hunting and cost you some money but what really scares me is someone shooting one of my stands with a shotgun and me climbing into it in the dark.  all i have to say to someone who is a trail cam or stand stealer,  KARMA.   

Offline Hern

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:47 AM »
How long have trail cams and trail timers been around?
I've had them stolen from way back then.
Years back, I had 3 out of 6 trail cams stolen in one week. I had trail timers stolen and traps stolen. I had gear stolen from my parked pickup truck. And to this day, I have a trail cam and traps stolen from time to time.
For the most part I have become more cautious and aware of how to hide things in the woods. One good thing to know in the woods is human behavior and how to work with it.
I have set trial cams for private property owners for them to see who's using their lane/land. It's an eye opener for them.
One private land owner (posted property) now has 4 trail cams working for him, he checks 'em weekly.

UB, I have set trail cams and trail timers for people over the years.
You are right about 'don't jump to conclusions' where as a kid or adult. Here 'em out, feel 'em out. Chances are they may be helpful to you.

uncle buck

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:31:03 PM »
Curious?  Does a flash go off or does it depend on the type of trailcam...One that $$$$$$$ would work without any kind of a flash.????????
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:31:52 PM by uncle buck »