Author Topic: google maps  (Read 2391 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
google maps
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:20:45 AM »
I am not sure how many here use google maps but they have some pretty cool features on there.  first off they have detailed topo maps along with satilite images.  but most recently I noticed something that I have used for hunting cumberland county.  Each county courthouse has the ability to give you information on a parcel of land.  They have on record the tax parcels for the county.  Well what does that mean.

each season many predator hunters start knocking on doors looking for new property.  Alot of traveling can result in alot of miles and time with minimal results.  using google maps now you can see how big a piece of property is before you go knocking on doors.  I know cumberland county has an online tax mapper that you can use to get information such as the property owner address and several other things that are not related to finding new locations.  not all countys have this option and you must go to the courthouse and pay to view them.   

using google maps now you can view these tax parcels without having to go to the county courthouse and pay for it.  Scout out potential properties and then stop in and ask permission then.  this could save alot of frustration of going out and checking out new locations to find out that property is not as big as it seemed or somtimes the house located close to a property is not even the property owner. 

another thing you can do is map out which properties you have on a map.  figure out a route for hunting through out the night that way you do not find yourself in the field figuring out which field is next on the list.  pull it up print it off and lets go hunting.

to view the tax parcels you need to be on the map option and not the satilite or terrain option.  You also need to zoom in rather close.   
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline waterfowler1183

• Junior Forum Member
Re: google maps
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 01:01:12 PM »
Im not sure if this is what ur talking about but they also have a download version called google earth that you can panoram 360 degrees to see elevation and everything. Most roads are listed and you can overview ur entire area and plan a hunt. We use it alot to hunt public land for deer in Md. Saves a lot of unnecessary walking.  And best of all the download is free.

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:05:51 PM »
nope totally different.  I know about google earth and do not use it.  bing maps has a birds eye view that seems to be better personally.  but what I am talking about is scroll in on your home till you see some light grey lines.  these are property boundries. 
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline melsdad

• Junior Forum Member
    • Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »
I just tried this with my house, and I didn't see any gray lines.
>>>------Brian------>

''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''

- John Wayne

District 6