Author Topic: how do you guys call on stand?  (Read 1849 times)

Offline bigben

• PPHA Members
  • PPHA Forum GURU
how do you guys call on stand?
« on: July 21, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »
do you guys call the whole time?  same volume?  different sounds?  same sounds?  lets here your strategy.
“If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not”. Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. “Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.”

Offline predator77

• PPHA Forum GURU
  • Ian
    • Facebook
Re: how do you guys call on stand?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:36:19 PM »
From beginning to end for me would typically go like this.
At night (with shotgun). I set the call cross wind but still up wind from me. I start calling on around the 6 to 8 volume for 2 minutes then I turn it down to about 4 for 30 sec. to 45 sec. Then I turn it up to about 9 or 10 vol for a min or 2. then back down to 4 or 6 vol or all the way down. I turn it up to about 12 or louder till the entire time on my remotes says 12 minutes. Usually I see fox within 6 to 8 minutes like this. I started using bird sounds and I feel the volume changed mimic a bird changing altitudes, Possibly attempting to get back on a branch from the ground. Worked great last winter but I wasn't successful till I turned the brightness down on my headlamp. I'd call fox in to feet from the call but when the red hit them they were gone.

Day time (with shotgun). I will sometimes start out with a small prey distress (baby cottontail) 8 volume followed up with a red fox distress hardly ever turning the volume down from 16. I've had success just blasting the red fox distress from beginning to end and the same with red fox pup distress in the day time with my mojo decoy (crazy critter). I also like to start off with the red fox rally as loud as I think it would sound if the fox was where the call was at. Followed by the red fox distress.

Mouth call I usually call for 3 seconds (usually like 4 blows) at first. Then after a minute I'll go to 20 seconds sequences with 2 minutes of silence. This will go on for 12 minutes then I leave.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:42:19 PM by predator77 »
FayetteNam

Offline foxpro51

• PPHA Forum GURU
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »
I set up close to wood lines but Not along them. I sit in the middle of fields facing wood line or facing edge rows.This gives me more area to view. At night camo is not important. I start out ALLWAYS with a small squeek type of call. If nothing is comming in i go to woodpecker call (IF CALLING FOXES).  I often i use rabbit distress hand call but I aLLWAYS leave squeeker ON the foxpro running while using my hand call. If i see eyes at night i STOP using hand call and let the foxpro squeeker suck them in for the shot. Very effective on fox. Now for coyotes out west i howl first than go to rabbit call. Most of the shooting here is done during the day. Muttbuster will tell you how effective my calling can be. NEVER GIVE UP if you are going to be successful at predator hunting. IT"S A RUSH.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:22:27 PM by foxpro51 »

Offline Duffman

• Senior Forum Member
    • DuffMan's Myspace
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 02:34:31 PM »
Here is how some of my set ups go:

-first 5-8 minutes of rabbit distress, then go to a fox distress for 2 or 3 minutes and switch back to the rabbit distress. I usually change it back to a rabbit distress once after the fox distress. If anyone has a TX-200 remote, I usually start my volume around 24-26 for about the first minute or two to get the sound out there. In the summer time now it may not sound very loud, but on those cool calm fall and winter nights, sound will carry a good ways. I usually then turn the volume back down to 18-20 for the duration of the stand. I may turn it up to 22-24 if I feel the need to.

I usually stay on stand for about 15-20 minutes. Some of my stands I may start out with a rabbit distress for the first 8-10 minutes and then the last 10 minutes I switch to a bird distress or something else. Like I described above, I will usually start out my stands medium to loud. If you think about it, a real rabbit or bird in distress is pretty loud in the wild. Here's how I see it: If a 6'4 300lb guy comes up behind you and jumps on your back with a knife to your throat; are you politely going to ask him to remove himself? Heck no! Same goes for the animal kingdom.

Wow, just thinking/typing about it is giving me the fever for October to get here!!!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:36:06 PM by Duffman »
:":"DuffMan":":

"Lead, follow, or get out of the way."-Thomas Paine

Offline ED HALL

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
i only use mouth calls.  i usually always start with a mouse squeaker.  light at first for 30 seconds to a minute.  ill wait for for a minute or two,  if nothing shows up ill wrap my index finger and thumb around the nipple of the squeaker  and use my hand to make a bell or cone to help amplify the sound as well as squeezing the squeaker harder.  i have a lot of success with the mouse squeaker.  ill do this for another 30 seconds to a minute.  i wait 3 or 4 minutes and the start with a mouth call.  usually start quiet and work my way up in volume.  i usually call a minute or two at a time and wait for a minite or so.  i guess the situation dictates.  if im only hunting coyotes,  ill go out at night and howl.   if they answer,  ill go back the next morning and try to get in the area where they are at.  if im targeting coyotes i usually only hunt them during the day.  ive called quite a few in at night but dont have much sucess gettnig shots at them.  i call coyotes the same way i call foxes, except i give them a little more time between sequences.  coyotes arent necessarily hard to call in,  i think the biggest thing is being close to where they are.  i use a double reed diaphram call to howl with as well as whine.  i use a lot of jp reeds in my calls.  most people just use them as rabbit in distress but you can make a woodpecker or a fawn in distress with them also.  whenever i run into a shy fox or coyote i often use the mouse squeaker to seal the deal